ADSL and Linux

Post by Brad McCab » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just got word today that my ISP (Mindspring) is now offering ADSL in
my area. I checked their FAQ and they had information about Windoze and
Macintosh. When I called them they said that they would set up the line
and hand me a wire and I would be on my own from there using Linux. They
guy said if I could get my machine talking to the ethernet card I should
have no problem but basically I'd be on my own. I'm running Redhat 6.1
on a Pentium III 500 with 128M of memory.

If anybody out there has any pointers or warning about potential
problems I would appreciate the information before I call and sign up.
Info from other users (particularly Mindspring users) who have switched
from dialup to ADSL service would be apprecieated.

Thanks

Web Page: www.pipeline.com/~komax
Now featuring Critter Pictures from the San Diego Zoo.

ADSL and Linux

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I just got word today that my ISP (Mindspring) is now offering ADSL in
>my area. I checked their FAQ and they had information about Windoze and
>Macintosh. When I called them they said that they would set up the line
>and hand me a wire and I would be on my own from there using Linux.
>They guy said if I could get my machine talking to the ethernet card I
>should have no problem but basically I'd be on my own. I'm running
>Redhat 6.1 on a Pentium III 500 with 128M of memory.

This is not necessarily so cut and dry. Can we assume they are providing
the modem? Running 'wire' to your modem? Or is this a complete
self-install?

There are various types of modems. For Linux you *need* a non-USB,
external. These will connect via Ethernet a NIC. Sounds like what 'the
guy' might be talking about. There are also 2 commonly used protocols
for connecting. One is DHCP, the other is PPPoE. You already have
everything you need for DHCP. You can use netcfg or other tool to set up
the interface. Make it active on boot. And yes, the trickiest part may
be getting the NIC setup. Do they supply this? Probably. Maybe they will
tell you what NIC, and you can scout ahead on this and be ready for it.

PPPoE is little more complicated. You will have to download a client for
this. There are several (5?) for Linux. Most popular ATM may be 'Roaring
Penguin': http://www.roaringpenguin.com/.

Go for it!

--
Hal B

--

ADSL and Linux

Post by Dallas Time » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have an aDSL setup. The aDSL modem uses a standard ethernet jumper cable
to connect to the ethernet card in your linux box. As long as you setup the
interface for that machine (assuming eth0), then just make sure that you
have eth0 setup to boot in dchp mode (outside source tells your machine who
it is and how to connect to their network). Other than that, make sure you
read up on network security and firewalling because once you have aDSL
setup, you're 24x7 connected to the internet (which gives script-kiddies and
crackers a chance at your box all of the time).

BTW - Although I prefer slackware, I have TurboLinux 4.0 Workstation
installed on this machine for routing/firewalling the rest of the (private)
internal network.

- Ken

> I just got word today that my ISP (Mindspring) is now offering ADSL in
> my area. I checked their FAQ and they had information about Windoze and
> Macintosh. When I called them they said that they would set up the line
> and hand me a wire and I would be on my own from there using Linux. They
> guy said if I could get my machine talking to the ethernet card I should
> have no problem but basically I'd be on my own. I'm running Redhat 6.1
> on a Pentium III 500 with 128M of memory.

> If anybody out there has any pointers or warning about potential
> problems I would appreciate the information before I call and sign up.
> Info from other users (particularly Mindspring users) who have switched
> from dialup to ADSL service would be apprecieated.

> Thanks

> Web Page: www.pipeline.com/~komax
> Now featuring Critter Pictures from the San Diego Zoo.

ADSL and Linux

Post by gregory_ad.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just signed up for the service myself.  Mindspring does offer a pppoe
client at  http://download.mindspring.com/maxdsl/pppoe_linux.html

I don't know how well it works since my DSL isn't installed yet.
Please let me know if it works for you.

> I just got word today that my ISP (Mindspring) is now offering ADSL in
> my area. I checked their FAQ and they had information about Windoze
and
> Macintosh. When I called them they said that they would set up the
line
> and hand me a wire and I would be on my own from there using Linux.
They
> guy said if I could get my machine talking to the ethernet card I
should
> have no problem but basically I'd be on my own. I'm running Redhat 6.1
> on a Pentium III 500 with 128M of memory.

> If anybody out there has any pointers or warning about potential
> problems I would appreciate the information before I call and sign up.
> Info from other users (particularly Mindspring users) who have
switched
> from dialup to ADSL service would be apprecieated.

> Thanks

> Web Page: www.pipeline.com/~komax
> Now featuring Critter Pictures from the San Diego Zoo.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ADSL and Linux

Post by Michael Kell » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I just signed up for the service myself.  Mindspring does offer a pppoe
>client at  http://download.mindspring.com/maxdsl/pppoe_linux.html

>I don't know how well it works since my DSL isn't installed yet.
>Please let me know if it works for you.

Speaking of which, I have an ADSL usb kit on the way, and I'm
wondering if anyone has this type of setup working in Linux?
I previously tried a CableModem usb setup which worked fine
in Win98 but on boot the Linux kernel probe would cause the
machine to hard lock when attempting to boot again, so I'm
hoping there's a way to avoid reaching around and unplugging
the usb cable or even better, using the high speed connection
in Linux too.

TIA for any info.

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

ADSL and Linux

Post by Duan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I just signed up for the service myself.  Mindspring does offer a
pppoe
> client at  http://download.mindspring.com/maxdsl/pppoe_linux.html

> I don't know how well it works since my DSL isn't installed yet.
> Please let me know if it works for you.

Well, I just had to comment, having gotten my ADSL installed on Friday.
It was from PacBell, using pppoe, and of course PacBell does not
acknowledge the existence of Linux. I was a little worried after seeing
all these vaguely ominous messages posted here.

So I went to http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe.html and downloaded the
rp-pppoe RPM and installed it. Then ran /usr/sbin/adsl-setup; it
prompted me for my ADSL user name and password and DSN servers, and
exited normally. Then I ran /usr/sbin/adsl-start, and in about 5 seconds
it returned to a prompt.

Hmmm... something must be wrong. It couldn't be this easy. So I fired up
Netscape, went to deja, and it came back almost instantly! Ohh.. what a
joy. And I must say, the easiest installation I could have imagined!

--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. ADSL Router or ADSL Modem /Linux firewall

I have to upgrade a 25 client 98/XP network to ADSL
(W2000 server, W98/vPop3 mailserver)
I have a choice of :-
D-Link DSL504 ADSL Modem/Router connected direct to the network or
D-Link DSL504 ADSL Modem/Router connected via a Linux Firewall box or
D-Link DSL300 ADSL Modem connected via a Linux Firewall box

Thanks
Andy Chalkley
Perth Australia

2. How do I tell "sh" to automatically switch to bash

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. return values from socket fuctions

5. Alcated 1000 ADSL and Telenor ADSL

6. Tiny web browser for X !

7. Limiting outgoing bandwidth per machine, using Linux (2.2.19) on ADSL

8. deleting a file

9. usb adsl modem and linux

10. Bell Sympatico ADSL and Linux

11. Linux ADSL