What is Extended partition ? Pls help me !

What is Extended partition ? Pls help me !

Post by eb6812.. » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

hi there

Does anyone know what is Extended partition under linux ?

I have created 3 logical partition using os/2 fdisk
and in linux, I can only see them as 1 extended partition.

How can I set the partition for linux installation ?

Thank you so much for your attention and help.

Regards.

Walter Low Wai Tuck
Nanyang Technological University
Singapore

1. Help! Extended partition with no logical partitions

While I was changing around my partition setup during installation of SuSE
7.1 under YaST, I started getting errors during the write process to the
partition table.  This got really confusing and I finally took a look at
it with fips and fdisk.  It appears that my whole disk looks like this:

Partition 1: primary DOS partition
Partition 2: Extended partition

with no logical partitions in the extended partition!

This is very unfortunate because I don't seem to be able to delete the
extended partition without "deleting all the logical partitions" inside,
but there ARE no recognized logical partitions to delete.  I tried adding
a logical partition to delete, but fdisk somehow thinks my whole disk is
filled up by these two partitions, so there's no room to add anything.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I don't want to reformat the whole disk
because I really don't want to go through the trouble of replacing what's
on the DOS partition.  My estimation of SuSE has dropped a
notch...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Roger

2. Can you SET the control terminal fo a process?

3. Extending an extended partition.

4. tzset() and daylight

5. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition

6. polish SDI HIS with Linux

7. Logical Partitions on an Extended Partition

8. help!-multi drives w/ minilinux

9. Root Partition on an extended partition

10. DOS extended partition -> swap partition

11. Partitions in the extended partition

12. root partition on extended partition

13. disklabel: partition c: partition extends past end of unit