Red Hat 7.0 and Windows 2000

Post by Chris Kilia » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:58:39

I am wanting to boot between windows 2000 and Red Hat 7.0. There are three
partitions one for each OS (other is Win 2000 Server) when I install Red Hat
it goes ok but when I reboot I do not get a linux option it just goes right
into the windows boot up options. Can anybody advise.
Regards

Red Hat 7.0 and Windows 2000

Post by McKerna » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:58:57

I have the same problem.

I use the boot disk and it loads Red Hat fine.  But LILO does not com up
with out it. Can't remember where I installed LILO though.  D'oh.

Ideas anyone?

BTW: I am using Millenium, not Win2k as dual.

> Did you install LILO?

> If so, where did you install it?

> Also, did you create a boot disk for Red Hat?

> >I am wanting to boot between windows 2000 and Red Hat 7.0. There are
three
> >partitions one for each OS (other is Win 2000 Server) when I install Red
Hat
> >it goes ok but when I reboot I do not get a linux option it just goes
right
> >into the windows boot up options. Can anybody advise.
> >Regards

Red Hat 7.0 and Windows 2000

Post by Tadeusz Bogdan Babia » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:17:19

Quote:> I am wanting to boot between windows 2000 and Red Hat 7.0. There are three
> partitions one for each OS (other is Win 2000 Server) when I install Red
Hat
> it goes ok but when I reboot I do not get a linux option it just goes
right
> into the windows boot up options. Can anybody advise.
> Regards

Chris,

The way I did it (with NT4 service pack 5 but Windows 2000 uses the same
files) was to use the NTloader program.
If you load linux second and allow the LinuxLoader (lilo) to reside on the
partition that contains the MBR (master boot record) you will overwrite
NTLDR.  This is a file NT needs to boot up. *You have not done this because
you can still boot windows

Otherwise assuming you loaded lilo to your linux partition your machine will
boot to the normal NT boot options. To be able boot linux as one of the
options you need to edit the boot.ini file located in your Windows partition
to point the way, as it were, to your linux OS.

Boot into linux with a boot disk created for the purpose.
In a terminal or console log in as root.
type in :

    dd if=/dev/hdax of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

including spaces

Where hdax is your linux partition (from what you wrote about your
partitioning it will probably be hda3.  This command will copy your boot
sector information from off you linux partition to a file located in the /
directory and name that file bootsect.lnx.  Copy this file to a DOS
formatted floppy with

    mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
    copy /bootsect.lnx /mnt
    umount /mnt

Reboot your machine into Windows 2000 and copy the file bootsect.lnx from
the floppy to your C:\> root directory in Windows.  Then find and edit
boot.ini in Windows 2000 usually also located in the root directory. This is
roughly how the file looks before editing:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

 Your version will probably refer to Windows 2000 not NT 4.  Add the
following line

    c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux "

Save the file.  When you reboot your machine, in addition to your normal
Windows 2000 boot options you will also have an option of Linux.

Hope this helps and good luck with linux.
Regards Tad

Red Hat 7.0 and Windows 2000

Post by MWence » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 22:02:00

Quote:> I am wanting to boot between windows 2000 and Red Hat 7.0. There are three
> partitions one for each OS (other is Win 2000 Server) when I install Red Hat
> it goes ok but when I reboot I do not get a linux option it just goes right
> into the windows boot up options. Can anybody advise.
> Regards

Check the contents of BOOT.INI and I think you'll find that Win2000
likes to place /fastdetect on the end of the line which describes
your single Win2000 installation.

Remove the /fastdetect, make sure you have a 'timeout=' value,
and add a line for Linux:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional"
C:\BOOTSECT.LNX "Redhat Linux v7.0"

Note: this is particular to my host so the hard-drives and partition
numbers are too...

The file 'BOOTSECT.LNX' comes from running LILO after you have your
Linux installation working with the option that will output this type
of file...

See:  http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/bootlinux.htm and
      http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/dualboot.html

for more details...

MarkW
-
"We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!"
 George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-
MarkW (remove NO-SPAM to reply...)

1. Triple Boot Red Hat, Windows 98, Windows 2000

Install Win98 first, them Win2k. The Win2k bootloader will give you the
choice between Win98 and Win2k. Install Linux after that, with the /boot
hint of the PBen and put LILO in the Linux boot partition. Then first you
can boot Linux with a floppy. After that you can create a small file with a
command I just can't remember (read the howto on WinNT and Linux) which you
can copy to the root of C:, and you add a line to the boot.ini on the
booting drive for Win2k, enabling you to start off Linux as you start the
other two operating systems.

2. FAQ: how to boot with root=LABEL=/

3. Red Hat 7.0 Boot Problems with System Commander 2000

4. HP PowerWise Assistant on Solaris 2.6

5. configurar red local red hat 7.0 y windows millenium

6. Netscape with shared

7. Installing Red Hat Linux 7 and Windows 2000 Professional

8. DNS Resolution Timeout configuration

9. Windows 2000 Professional / WD 45 GB HD / Red Hat 7.1

10. Can I dual boot Red Hat Linux 6.2 and Windows 2000?

11. red hat linux 7.1 on windows 2000