NIS trouble

Post by Ian Colquho » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm having trouble with NIS between a Digital Unix 4.0 box NIS master server
and a Linux box as an NIS slave. The problem is that the DU master box pushes
out the maps at 1/2 past the hour to all the slaves. All the DU slave boxes
receive the maps correctly, however, the Linux box tends to only receive
partial or corrupt maps.

The Linux box is running kernel v2.0.35 with libc 5.4.44. It is running
yp-tools v2.0, ypserv v1.3.4, and ypbind v3.3. The Digital Unix machine is
running the stock NIS stuff.

One thing that is odd about this Linux machine is that it is using egcs
instead of gcc. I was not able to compile ypbind under egcs so I had to
compile it on another machine and bring over the binary. Could this be
causing some weirdness?!

If anyone has some info on this or is experiencing similar problems I'd love
to hear from you!

--

---
Ian Colquhoun

System Administrator - Sheridan College
Oakville, Ontario, Canada

1. Nis troubles,can't login but can ypcat

I have a 3 linux boxes on my home network. The nis server is running 2.0.20. It seems to work fine as the server (one of the other machines binds fine to it) but the server itself and one of the other machines are not working right. They both ypbind fine. I can use ypcat and can su to people in the nis files but I can not login with anyone in the nis files. I started ypbind with the debug option and noticed an error like YPBINDPROC2_DOMAIN which I did not notice on the machine that is working right. Any  i
deas?

Paul

Paul Guglielmino                        \|/   Sysadming is a burden,

------------------------------------oOO-(_)-OOo------= Aaron Marsh =-----

2. Secure Oracle Login on Solaris

3. NIS troubles

4. print a bitmap (or other format) on a HP laserjet

5. NIS trouble

6. Netra T1

7. more nis+ troubles

8. Ghostscript help needed Solaris 7 Intel

9. NIS troubles

10. NIS trouble under Solaris 2.4

11. nis+ trouble

12. NIS: Trouble with services map