Setting "screen position and size" with different resolutions

Setting "screen position and size" with different resolutions

Post by Joe Vahabzade » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hey all,

        I have a slight problem.  I have my Linux system set up on an older
monitor with knobs that adjust horizontal and vertical screen positions
and sizes, so they do an overall adjustment, rather than adjusting for
each video mode.

        However, when I'm on the text screen when you first log in, the screen
is set a bit on the "low" side in the vertical positioning, so that the
last line on the screen is almost, but not quite, cut off.

        When I do startx, it goes into 800x600 mode, and the screen is a bit
high, so that the top is a bit cut off, and there's a noticeable black
band at the bottom.

        I don't want to shrink the vertical size to accomodate both, because
that would make the screen look AWFUL.

        Is there some kind of tool or utility that will allow me to set screen
position and/or size independently in each of the video modes?  I know
my video card supports this kind of thing, because in Windows 95 I use
STB Vision 95 software (the card is an STB Powergraph 64 Video, 2MB)
which *does* allow me to do this.

        Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

        - Joe
--
---------------------------------------
To email me, add .com to the end of my

Setting "screen position and size" with different resolutions

Post by Robert Marti » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

xvidtune will let you do this.
One caveat:  don't forget to update your XF86Config with the new mode
info.

> Hey all,

>         I have a slight problem.  I have my Linux system set up on an older
> monitor with knobs that adjust horizontal and vertical screen positions
> and sizes, so they do an overall adjustment, rather than adjusting for
> each video mode.

>         However, when I'm on the text screen when you first log in, the screen
> is set a bit on the "low" side in the vertical positioning, so that the
> last line on the screen is almost, but not quite, cut off.

>         When I do startx, it goes into 800x600 mode, and the screen is a bit
> high, so that the top is a bit cut off, and there's a noticeable black
> band at the bottom.

>         I don't want to shrink the vertical size to accomodate both, because
> that would make the screen look AWFUL.

>         Is there some kind of tool or utility that will allow me to set screen
> position and/or size independently in each of the video modes?  I know
> my video card supports this kind of thing, because in Windows 95 I use
> STB Vision 95 software (the card is an STB Powergraph 64 Video, 2MB)
> which *does* allow me to do this.

>         Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

>         - Joe
> --
> To email me, add .com to the end of my
> mail address if it's not already there.

--Rob
I owe ya Billy!  If it weren't for M${DOS, WINDOWS}, I wouldn't have
been looking for something better.  I found Linux.
Decapitate my email address before use.