Booting question using free space on a 60GB disk

Booting question using free space on a 60GB disk

Post by James Salisbur » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 03:57:49

I have a 60GB hd, win 2K from 0 to 30GB 30 GB to end free, how do I go about
installing suse 8.1 into this space and will it boot?

The pc is a P4 2.8GHz

Post by CrayzeeWul » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 15:05:31

> I have a 60GB hd, win 2K from 0 to 30GB 30 GB to end free, how do I go
> about installing suse 8.1 into this space and will it boot?

This is a fairly common configuration. If you purchased the SuSE-8.1 CDs
then you should have all the needed information in the documentation that
comes with it.

You can get general information about installing multiple operating system
at:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Linux+Windows-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Linux+Win9x+Grub-HOWTO/index.html

--
CrayzeeWulf

Post by alzo » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:34:13

> I have a 60GB hd, win 2K from 0 to 30GB 30 GB to end free, how do I go
> about installing suse 8.1 into this space and will it boot?

> The pc is a P4 2.8GHz

Hello,
booting from a flppy always works fine...

Post by Anant » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:02:31

> >I have a 60GB hd, win 2K from 0 to 30GB 30 GB to end free, how do I go
> >about installing suse 8.1 into this space and will it boot?

> >The pc is a P4 2.8GHz

> Hello,
> booting from a flppy always works fine...

Try Installing Suse 8.1 as you normally would then you would have to
replace GRUB with LILO as explained in this article
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/fhassel_grub_lilo.html

It worked for me this way.. Hope it works for you too..

cheers,
Ananta

1. Strange disk free space/used space...

Hi,
I seem to have lost a lot of disk space to no idea what: for example /boot
shows 25MB used, but when all files are listed the total is just 19MB;
/home - 500MB/362MB; /var - 600MB/417MB.
Any idea what is causing this, and how to rectify the problem.
--
G.Arlington
== The more you know, then better you realise how little you really know...

2. Format.dat for Micropolis 1578

3. FREE E-MAIL, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

4. Riva128 AGP chipset and Xserver

5. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT.

6. Troubles compiling Mosaic port

7. X session switching and mouse

8. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

9. FREE EMAIL ACCOUNT FREE DISK SPACE FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

10. Disk space used/free

11. Incorrect Free Disk Space using df -k