Q:help with SMC EtherPower, DEC 21041

Post by Marcel Kat » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I installed Red Hat 2.1, kernel 1.2.13 in a P100 PCI.
It doesn't recognize my ether card:
It's a:
SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip.
The errors I get are:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRADDR: No such device

There is also no activity on the indicator lights on the card next to
RJ-45
adaptor.
I also get an
"Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor Id=6, PCI Device Id=14"
at boot.
The card works fine with Win95.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Greg Sieka » Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> >I installed Red Hat 2.1, kernel 1.2.13 in a P100 PCI.
> >It doesn't recognize my ether card:
> >It's a:
> >SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip.

> You have to re-config your network settings for the specific card you have.
> The standard kernels that come with the distributions can't account for
> every ethernet card out, so they are not configged specifically for your
> card.

> You'll have to re-build a kernel to support your specific hardware ...

You'll also have to patch the tulip.c to get the card working.  See
http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~siekas/linux/smc8432.html for information.
I specifically ran RH 2.1 w/ 1.2.13 and the patches outlined on the page
with no problems.

When upgrading to RH 3.0.3 w/ 1.2.13 the kernel was unstable, lots of
compile errors that didn't look good after applying the patches.  So I
upgrade to 1.3.75 with no major problems, expect getting the latest
procps-99a and things are back to normal.

Greg

Q:help with SMC EtherPower, DEC 21041

Post by Tri H. Tr » Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I installed Red Hat 2.1, kernel 1.2.13 in a P100 PCI.
>It doesn't recognize my ether card:
>It's a:
>SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip.
>The errors I get are:
>SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
>SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
>SIOCSIFBRADDR: No such device

>There is also no activity on the indicator lights on the card next to
>RJ-45
>adaptor.

I'm using Slackware 3.0 and have had similar problem.  The kernel
boot-up OK and recognize the Ethernet card.  However, I can't seem
to connect/communicate on the network since I can't even ping.
This is with 1.2.13 kernel.

With the 1.3.x kernel, I get the same error message as above.
I even try the patch but didn't have much success with it.
However, I did have problem with the patch diff file so it
probably my fault that it doesn't work.

Quote:>I also get an
>"Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor Id=6, PCI Device Id=14"
>at boot.
>The card works fine with Win95.

Same here.  Same unknown device message and Win95 work
fine with no problem at all.

Quote:

>I appreciate any help.

>Thanks in advance.

Tri

WWW: http://www.sonetis.com/~ianq/      CIS: 74032,573

Q:help with SMC EtherPower, DEC 21041

Post by Marcel Kat » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

This problem was solved, with the invaluable help
from Greg Siekas and  Manabe Takashi.
Their information point you to the right 1.2.13 and tulip driver
patches.
Start with:
 http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~siekas/linux/smc8432.html

Then go to:

 http://www..dsl.tutics.tut.ac.jp/~linux/ptulip.html

Q:help with SMC EtherPower, DEC 21041

Post by sch.. » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Let me make a suggestion..... go out and buy a 3com card. The SMC PCI
Ethernet card is a nightmare. We went through so many problems with
that card that my tech gave me an ultimadem one day. "Either the card
goes or I go. Your choice.". He won.

We had our server running on that card for about 3-4 months. One day,
it would not talk to the network. Card would work fine under OS/2 and
DOS. Not under Linux. Couldn't figure out the problem. Anyways, my
$ .02 worth.

Post by Ian Re » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I installed Red Hat 2.1, kernel 1.2.13 in a P100 PCI.
>It doesn't recognize my ether card:
>It's a:
>SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip.
>The errors I get are:
>SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
>SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
>SIOCSIFBRADDR: No such device

This suggests you have the wrong device driver in your kernel.
You have a choice of two drivers to use.

The simplest choice is to use the de4x5.c driver, which is offered as
one of the alpha drivers during a kernel 'make config'.  Select it and
then recompile the kernel.  This driver (v0.241) works with the 21041
chip, but does exhibit problems during large ftp/http transfers.

A more involved but ultimately more reliable choice is to use the
tulip.c driver as patched by Takashi Manabe.  In order to install this
you'll need to follow the instructions (and links to Manabe's patched
driver) given on Greg Seikas' page on the Etherpower 8432:
        http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~siekas/linux/smc8432.html

Quote:>I also get an
>"Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor Id=6, PCI Device Id=14"
>at boot.

An annoying message but doesn't make any difference to whether the
card/driver works or not.

Cheers, Ian
Ian Reid                     _--_|\
Dept of Engineering Science /      \

(01865) 273168                    v   http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk:5000/~ian

1. Q:SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip

I installed Red Hat 2.1, kernel 1.2.13 in a P100 PCI.
It doesn't recognize my ether card:
It's a:
SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip.
The errors I get are:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRADDR: No such device

There is also no activity on the indicator lights on the card next to
RJ-45
adaptor.
I also get an
"Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor Id=6, PCI Device Id=14"
at boot.
The card works fine with Win95.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Marcel Katz                         Phone: (703)318-1258
Template Software, Inc.             Fax:   (703)318-7378

Herndon, VA 22070, USA

2. Telnet script

3. SMC Etherpower w/ DEC 21041

4. Routing problems with PPP

5. help setting up SMC etherpower pci with a 21041 chip.

6. My story

7. getcwd() cacheing

8. SMC Ether Power with DEC 21041

9. share IRQ of SMC PCI Ethernet Card(DEC 21041) + SCSI Host Adapter

10. Need help with a Linksys PCI Combo Board (DEC 21041 Tulip)

11. Help: DEC PCI 21041 Ehternet Card

12. DEC 21041