Partition Magic 6 + Redhat Linux 7

Post by tim » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:14:48

How would one go about repartitioning to install Red Hat Linux 7, when I
currently have Win2k on the first 20 gigs of my hard drive, and WinME on the
last 10 gigs.  both are FAT32 partitions..

thanks in advance to any help!

Partition Magic 6 + Redhat Linux 7

Post by Lewi » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:59:24

Tim,

        First, go out to PowerQuest (www.powerquest.com) and look at
their FAQs, support, etc.  They had something real close to what you
are asking about.  (I know, cause I hope to get a new computer soon,
and am wanting to do the same thing you are, except with WinNT4.0 and
Win9x and RedHat 6.2 or 7).

        Since PM6.0 is their newest, you should be able to call their
technical support (I don't have that luxury, as PM4.0 is no longer
supported, I believe), and ask how to do this.  (If you do find out,
please let me know by either posting to this group or emailing me
(please remove the NoSpam from the address)).

        I believe in answer to your post, the best way would be to
clear out some space on one of your partitions, and let PM6.0 convert
the empty space to a Linux extfs2 partition (see my experience below,
though!)  Then, use LILO or BootMagic to choose which system boots up
(or use a Linux boot diskette).

        I have only done this with Win98 and Partition Magic v4.0 on a
couple of computers, but here it is for what it's worth:

        Things were pretty simple on 1 machine (a P166), as I had two
6GB hard-drives.  I put Win98 on the master, and Linux (Redhat 6.1) on
the slave (both on primary IDE channel).

        I simply ran PM 4.0 to format the 2nd drive with extfs2.  I
then installed Linux, in "custom" mode (NOT server or workstation
mode), as this gives you the opportunity the place LILO on the Linux
partition, rather on the master boot record on the primary drive (I
assume it would be the same if it were all on the same physical
drive).

        I then installed Boot Magic 4.0 (or at least the Boot Magic
that came with PM 4.0) on Win98, and let it take over the MBR.  From
then on, I can choose who to boot from.

        I assume you could skip the Boot Magic, and just use LILO, but
I had found LILO a little confusing before, and therefore used
BootMagic.

        On another computer I have, I had a 20GB hard-drive.  I made
two logical partitions for Win98 (FAT32), both with 10GB.  I then used
PM4.0 to take away some space from the 2nd partition (D:) to create a
partition for Linux.

        Now I can't remember if it was here, or when I installed
BootMagic, but somewhere along the line I remember I couldn't continue
because I had made my first partition greater than 8GB.  Since I had
Linux on the old P166, I left things alone, and planned to fix this
later (that was a year and a half ago :-) ).

        Anyway, you may have the same problem from reading your post.
Maybe PM6.0 had got around this problem.  Also, with PM4.0, I had
problems with using it from Windows.  I always had to use their rescue
diskette.  Again, maybe they have fixed this.

        Good luck to you, and again, please let me know if you do this
successfully.

RJ

>How would one go about repartitioning to install Red Hat Linux 7, when I
>currently have Win2k on the first 20 gigs of my hard drive, and WinME on the
>last 10 gigs.  both are FAT32 partitions..

>thanks in advance to any help!

The Lewis's

Remove "NoSpam_" from email address if replying by email.