Slackware, Win 95, Win NT

Post by Joe » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am about to completly reformat and install my whole system and would like
to install Windows 95/NT, Slackware, and have some sort of a menu system
(ie. LILO) that will allow me to choose what OS is to be loaded each time i
reboot my system, here is the way i have formatted my hard drives could
anyone please give me a few pointers, i have used Linux and 95 before, and
also NT and 95 before but ive not been able to get all 3 to function 100%
properly.

Many thanks in advance...

Quote:----- Original Message -----
From: Joe <JOE>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 1998 11:48 AM
Subject: Slackware, Win 95, Win NT

>I am about to completly reformat and install my whole system and would like
>to install Windows 95/NT, Slackware, and have some sort of a menu system
>(ie. LILO) that will allow me to choose what OS is to be loaded each time i
>reboot my system, here is the way i have formatted my hard drives could
>anyone please give me a few pointers, i have used Linux and 95 before, and
>also NT and 95 before but ive not been able to get all 3 to function 100%
>properly.

>Many thanks in advance...

Sorry i never mentioned what i was going to format them as

HDA1 -> 3GB Windows NT4 Workstation
HDA2 -> 3.6GB Windows 95
HDB1 -> 1GB Slackware
HDC1 -> 50MB Slackware Swap

Slackware, Win 95, Win NT

Post by Stephen Marl » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>I am about to completly reformat and install my whole system and would like
>>to install Windows 95/NT, Slackware, and have some sort of a menu system
>>(ie. LILO) that will allow me to choose what OS is to be loaded each time i
>>reboot my system, here is the way i have formatted my hard drives could
>>anyone please give me a few pointers, i have used Linux and 95 before, and
>>also NT and 95 before but ive not been able to get all 3 to function 100%
>>properly.

>>Many thanks in advance...

>Sorry i never mentioned what i was going to format them as

>HDA1 -> 3GB Windows NT4 Workstation
>HDA2 -> 3.6GB Windows 95
>HDB1 -> 1GB Slackware
>HDC1 -> 50MB Slackware Swap

I use the NT OS loader to boot NT, Linux, Win98 and NetBSD - it works
great. Read the Linux+NT Bootloader mini-howto for details on how to set
this up.

Basically, you copy the first 512 bytes from each OSes bootable
partition into a file in NT's C: drive and add a line to boot.ini.

Eg
   dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

Transfer the bootsect.lnx file to NT's C: drive using a floppy or shared
FAT partition and add a line like the following to boot.ini:

C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Slackware Linux"

The same technique works for Win98. See the howtos and do some dejanews
searches for more details.

BTW stick to FAT16 for Win95 as NT doesn't recognize FAT32. If you do
this you can mount the FAT partition on Linux and easily transfer data
between the 3 OSes.

I'd recommend installing in the order, NT, Linux (lilo in root), Win95
and then re-activate the NT partition after installing Win95 to get back
the NT boot menu. I think you can use Linux's fdisk to do this although
I personally used Partition Magic.

If you install Win95 first and then NT, I believe the NT install program
will allow you to dual boot both OSs from the same partition. I wouldn't
recommend this because your NT C: drive will not be NTFS and both OSs
will share a common Program Files directory which could get confusing.

HTH
--

1. SCO OSE 5, WIN 95, WIN NT and FTP Lockup Solved

Thanks to Robert Zini for providing me the solution to
        this problem. He had keep notes from previous problems
        that solved mine.

        If you have a lockup on ftp transfer from a Unix box to
        a Win NT server or Win 95 client, check the STRMAXBLK
        setting in Unix. It may be set to high to function
        properly.

        Our setting was "524288" and when switched to "4096" FTP
        worked without any problems.

        Dave Dunster
        Systems Manager

--

        Saskatchewan Roughrider Football Club
        http://www.regina.ism.ca/riders/index.htm

2. DHCP running?

3. Linux, Win 95, and Win NT Modem

4. Unix Shell Script Problem

5. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

6. list of known-to-be-bootable SCSI controllers

7. Win 95, Linux and Win NT 4.0 boot

8. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

9. NFS server for win NT / win 95

10. Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

11. Win 95+Win NT+Linux???

12. WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX