RH 6.2 hang on ASUS 733/VIA and BuslogicBT650

RH 6.2 hang on ASUS 733/VIA and BuslogicBT650

Post by Giancarlo Cairoli & C sa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Newbie to Linux, I'm experiencing random hangs during installation file copy
from CDROM or subsequent boot (yes, finally I partitioned and installed all
the stuff!). Resetting the machine or switching to interactive mode, I am
able to get the system up. Is the SCSI i/f the best choice for such fast
CPU? Thanks  Dino

RH 6.2 hang on ASUS 733/VIA and BuslogicBT650

Post by Craig Kelle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Newbie to Linux, I'm experiencing random hangs during installation file copy
> from CDROM or subsequent boot (yes, finally I partitioned and installed all
> the stuff!). Resetting the machine or switching to interactive mode, I am
> able to get the system up. Is the SCSI i/f the best choice for such fast
> CPU? Thanks  Dino

I have a few ASUS Athlon 700 machines with both Flashpoint and
Multimaster controllers without any problems at all.  Are you sure the
CD is good?

RH 6.2 hang on ASUS 733/VIA and BuslogicBT650

Post by Giancarlo Cairoli & C sa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Is Athlon a different CPU? I have a PIII.I'm sure the CD is good, because if
I try a text mode install, all works fine. Usually, without considering
installation, I get hung only at boot time. Is there (and how to pass) any
BusLogic parameter to be passed to linux?

Post by craig.kel.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Newbie to Linux, I'm experiencing random hangs during installation
 file copy
> from CDROM or subsequent boot (yes, finally I partitioned and
 installed all
> the stuff!). Resetting the machine or switching to interactive
 mode, I am
> able to get the system up. Is the SCSI i/f the best choice for such
 fast
> CPU? Thanks  Dino

I have a few ASUS Athlon 700 machines with both Flashpoint and
Multimaster controllers without any problems at all.  Are you sure
 the
CD is good?

1. ASUS cubx 440bx - P3/600 - RH 6.2 - PCI/Ethernet not working.

I have an ASUS CUBX 440BX motherboard (Pentium III-600 Mhz). I just upgraded
from a Pentium II-400 Mhz on which Linux ran fine.  This new machine runs
Windows 2000 great, but RedHat 6.2 will not bring up either of the two PCI
Ethernet cards I have tried.  'Kudzu', the redhat PCI auto-configuration
tool, finds the ethernet cards and configures me correctly, but "ifup eth0"
will not work. I always get this error, with either card:

SIOCSIFFFLAGS: Resource temporarily not available.

I have tried TWO (2) different Ethernet cards:

- DEC 21143 (Tulip) 10/100BaseT
- 3Com 3C905B-TXNM  10/100BaseT

When I tried the Tulip ethernet card, the insmod worked, "modprobe -v tulip"
reported no errors, "modprobe -v old_tulip" reported no errors. Kudzu was
using "de4x5" which did not work, it reported "resource not available".

I messed with the PCI bios, changed the slots that the card was in, have
tried EVERY PCI SLOT in this machine.

Nothing I try can make "ifup eth0" bring up the eth0 interface. Yes, I
checked /etc/conf.modules and set the aliases correctly, and I tried de4x5
module, tulip and old_tulip, and I read the great stuff at this web page:

http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html

Still, nothing. No matter what I tried I get this whenever I bring up eth0:

SIOCSIFFFLAGS: Resource temporarily not available.

So I thought, maybe this old Tulip card is incompatible with RH 6.2, yet
Windows still works.

So I tried a 3COM 3C905B-TX card, and had exactly the same problem with the
3COM ethernet card.

There are NO OTHER PCI cards in my machine, just one ISA SoundBlaster16-PNP
(not configured in Linux at all), and an ATI video card in the AGP slot.
That's it. I have tried the ethernet cards in all 6 of the PCI slots with NO
luck, and I have even tried hard-coding the PCI irqs in the BIOS (ie, set
slot 1 to always use IRQ 5, etc).

I also went onto the BIOS setup and disabled any funky stuff, like the USB
ports and the Promise CMD ATA/66  (disabled in the bios). I am not
interested in ATA66 until Linux supports it properly (Linux 2.4 will, I'm
told.).

Anyways, the inability to get ethernet up is driving me crazy. Is it this
ASUS CUBX A440BX motherboard?  I'm about ready to scream, as I can't figure
out what else to try.

Warren Postma

2. Dial on demand PPP

3. RH 6.2 install via plip: have route, but cannot ping target cannot connect

4. default source ip address

5. RH 6.2 hangs on DiskDruid

6. My mouse pointer shows a barcode???

7. RH 6.2 Install hangs

8. LinuxPPC kernel: URL for Julien

9. RH 6.2 Partionless - Comp hangs?

10. RH 6.2 installation hangs

11. RH 6.2 Hang randomly without notice

12. RH 6.2 Instalation Hang

13. Follow Up: Irix 6.2 Hangs On Console Login ("amd" on Irix 6.2)