file server installation 200mb drive

Post by lambcut.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have SuSE 6.2 6cd version.I wish to create a file server, ethernet,
using a 200mb ide drive used for the OS giving access to scsi drives as
the server drives. I am unsure as to the software required to do
this setup. i.e. I need to be able to recompile the kernel to give
access to the scsi card and be able to set up an ethernet card.
 I have tried the minimum installation selected within YAST but the ide
disk runs out of space. Any ideas would be helpful as the ide drive is
relatively small and space is the concern as to the files required to
set this thing up.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Tim Line » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have SuSE 6.2 6cd version.I wish to create a file server, ethernet,
> using a 200mb ide drive used for the OS giving access to scsi drives as
> the server drives. I am unsure as to the software required to do
> this setup.

It depends on what clients you are serving to.  If you've got windows
clients install samba.  If you've got unix clients, install nfsd.  If
you've got macs around, install netatalk.

Quote:> i.e. I need to be able to recompile the kernel to give
> access to the scsi card and be able to set up an ethernet card.

Why is that?  SuSE has modules for most devices so you shouldn't need to
recompile much.

Quote:

>  I have tried the minimum installation selected within YAST but the ide
> disk runs out of space. Any ideas would be helpful as the ide drive is
> relatively small and space is the concern as to the files required to
> set this thing up.

Yeah, 200 mb is nothing these days.  When you get to the screen where yast
gets setup for the installation of software packages you can load a
configuration then immediately Change/create configuration to adjust which
packages get installed.  Get draconian.  Anything that looks like an
application or development tool should be eliminated.  Then eliminate more
stuff for good measure.
Quote:

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

file server installation 200mb drive

Post by lambcut.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I have SuSE 6.2 6cd version.I wish to create a file server,
ethernet,
> > using a 200mb ide drive used for the OS giving access to scsi drives
as
> > the server drives. I am unsure as to the software required to do
> > this setup.

> It depends on what clients you are serving to.  If you've got windows
> clients install samba.  If you've got unix clients, install nfsd.  If
> you've got macs around, install netatalk.

> > i.e. I need to be able to recompile the kernel to give
> > access to the scsi card and be able to set up an ethernet card.

> Why is that?  SuSE has modules for most devices so you shouldn't need
> recompile much.

> >  I have tried the minimum installation selected within YAST but the
ide
> > disk runs out of space. Any ideas would be helpful as the ide drive
is
> > relatively small and space is the concern as to the files required
> > set this thing up.

> Yeah, 200 mb is nothing these days.  When you get to the screen where
yast
> gets setup for the installation of software packages you can load a
> configuration then immediately Change/create configuration to adjust
which
> packages get installed.  Get draconian.  Anything that looks like an
> application or development tool should be eliminated.  Then eliminate
more
> stuff for good measure.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

I will be connecting to windows pc's so samba sounds good.
How do you work with modules ? I am rather new to this linux game.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Wanted: 120MB or 200MB 2.5 inch laptop IDE hard drive

I've got an old DecPC 425SE laptop that has a sick 120M hard drive.
Unfortunately the BIOS will recognize *ONLY* a 120M or 200M drive, so
please don't try to sell me a 1 gigabyte drive. Also, this does
require a 2.5 inch laptop drive.

Thanks in advance. I'd love to get Linux up and running on this guy as
cheaply as possible.

        Paul Bartz
Remove nospam from the address below to contact me.

2. Samba password database

3. Help: DNS works but...creates 200MB log file :(

4. DOOM!

5. Need Help creating 200MB extended file system!

6. ToolTalk error ?

7. fresh installation - making disk drive one big file system?

8. ==>ARE THESE TE FILE I NEED FOR INTEL SOLARIS 8?

9. How can I dos format A scsidrive over 200Mb on linux?

10. Ethernet card found during installation but I see error msgs on console (server installation)

11. 200Mb core dump from imagetool on Sol 8 !

12. Sparc 1 16Mb/200Mb: will it run 2.4?

13. Installation of Linux over NFS File Server ???