Read Only Filesystem

Post by Citizen Fis » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 18:41:40

I am trying to create a distro that will run on CD only and came across an
interesting site that does just this for games playing. I have been
following their instructions

I want to test the boot before writing to CD and have been doing the
following:-

1) using mkinitrd to create an image
2) mount the new image and edit linuxrc to mount the cd-ROM, also change
the directory structure within the image to link to a mounted CD
3) umount image and write to /boot/image.img
4) Change my lilo.conf to:-

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2-4.....
        label=test
        initrd=/boot/image.img
        root=0x101

Run lilo.conf

I have the following questions:-

a) sometimes I get a kernel panic before linuxrc has run, statin that it
cannot mount the root file system, sometimes I don't ? ..any ideas..this
seems to be linked to changes within the image
b) can somebody explain to me what "root=0x101" means as opposed to
root=/dev/hda1

Finally, anybody know of any other sites showing how you can create a
read-only-filesystem distro

Thanks
CF

--
Come inside boy - they call this fun!,..........

1. Read Only Filesystem? Please help

Hi,

I just installed Linux on my machine cause I was curious about the hype.

I ran into a little problem.

After logging in as root, I wanted to change my passwd, but it wouldn't let
me change anything.

I tried to shutdown, but it said that the File System is Readonly? Does
anyone have any idea what that means?

2. Triple boot?

3. dd: Read-only filesystem

4. OK - Who out there remembers a Wang MIPS RC3230?

5. Linux read SCO filesystem?

6. Replication: Don't want to use NT

7. 4.3 Install problem: Unable to mount /tmp/.doc, read-only filesystem

8. No F90 for Linux/Alpha this year

9. Can't rescue, read-only filesystem

10. Read-only filesystem!?

11. Read-only filesystem?!?

12. Read-only filesystem... ouch.

13. Possible support for Linux reading VMS filesystems?