Slackware 3.0 'usr/include' problem

Post by Inigo Serna Roble » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

        Hi all !!!

        I'm installing Slackware 3.0 in my computer ( P90 ).
I first installed 1.3.18 kernel and all run perfectly till I tried to
compile a program ( not from Slackware ): compiler tried to find some
include files ( such as errno.h, types.h, signal.h ... ) in the
/usr/include/sys/linux directory, but it couldn't find them
                ^^^^^^

I looked at there but there was no so .../linux directory.

I ask someone and he told me that I'd ought to install 1.2.13 kernel ...
Well, I did that but the same problem arises, there are no such files in
that directory because this directory doesn't exist !!!!!

( I think I've installed binutils, gcc, libc ... completely, so I don't
know why these problems are from :(
I saw in a friend Linux and I notice that RedHat distribution don't create
that directory too, so ...

        Can anyone help me?
        Thanx in advance:

                   INIGO SERNA

* INIGO SERNA ROBLEDO         *    E-mail:                              *

* 48990. Getxo - BIZKAIA      *******************************************
*      BASQUE COUNTRY         * '... what made my dreams so hollow ...' *
*          SPAIN              *                               TOM WAITS *

Slackware 3.0 'usr/include' problem

Post by james barre » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

:       Hi all !!!
:
:       I'm installing Slackware 3.0 in my computer ( P90 ).
: I first installed 1.3.18 kernel and all run perfectly till I tried to
: compile a program ( not from Slackware ): compiler tried to find some
: include files ( such as errno.h, types.h, signal.h ... ) in the
: /usr/include/sys/linux directory, but it couldn't find them
:                 ^^^^^^

You'll have to obtain, and install, the kernel source. Even if you never
intend to compile your own kernel, you still need to have the source tree
on your system, because it contains include files that the GCC compiler
needs to work properly. If you have the Slackware 3.0 CD, you can
find the source in the "D" package. If not, it can be FTP'ed from a
variety of sites. The source distribution should be untarred in the
/usr/src directory. Check the README file contained inside, as there are a
couple of symbolic links that have to be set up to establish the location
of the include files.

Slackware 3.0 'usr/include' problem

Post by Timothy Murp » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    I'm installing Slackware 3.0 in my computer ( P90 ).
>I first installed 1.3.18 kernel and all run perfectly till I tried to
>compile a program ( not from Slackware ): compiler tried to find some
>include files ( such as errno.h, types.h, signal.h ... ) in the
>/usr/include/sys/linux directory, but it couldn't find them

These files are in /usr/include/sys , not /usr/include/sys/linux .
The program that looked for them there was mistaken.

Quote:>I looked at there but there was no so .../linux directory.

There is a directory /usr/include/linux --
it is normally a soft link to /usr/src/linux/include/linux .

Quote:>( I think I've installed binutils, gcc, libc ... completely, so I don't
>know why these problems are from :(
>I saw in a friend Linux and I notice that RedHat distribution don't create
>that directory too, so ...

Nb These kernel files are in the k? diskettes under Slackware.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

Post by Trevor Bradl » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

>:   Hi all !!!
>:
>:   I'm installing Slackware 3.0 in my computer ( P90 ).
>: I first installed 1.3.18 kernel and all run perfectly till I tried to
>: compile a program ( not from Slackware ): compiler tried to find some
>: include files ( such as errno.h, types.h, signal.h ... ) in the
>: /usr/include/sys/linux directory, but it couldn't find them
>:                 ^^^^^^
>You'll have to obtain, and install, the kernel source. Even if you never
>intend to compile your own kernel, you still need to have the source tree
>on your system, because it contains include files that the GCC compiler
>needs to work properly. If you have the Slackware 3.0 CD, you can
>find the source in the "D" package. If not, it can be FTP'ed from a

Are you sure you don't mean the newer "K" package?  I needed this to
try to compile some stuff with gcc at home...

/usr/include/sys/linux is usually just a symbolic link to the source
directory as well (usually /usr/include/sys/linux-1.2.13 in my case.
--
 Trevor Bradley | Burnaby, BC, Canada

1. Installing 'X' from SlackWare 2.2.0 in a SlackWare 3.0 system?

I've downloaded and installed all of SlackWare v.3.0 except for the X
Window system and utils and NTex.  I'm getting ready to download the rest
of SlackWare 3.0, however I do have SlackWare 2.2 on CD-ROM.

Would it be alright if I just use the X Window system that's in SlackWare
2.2 in my SlackWare 3.0 system?  Are they both the same version (except
one is compiled for ELF and the other is compiled for a.out)?  In fact,
wouldn't it be better for me to use the a.out version of X Window because
(from what I heard) a.out is faster than ELF and I have no plans of doing
any mods to the X Window source (is it included BTW?).  Or is there
enough significant differences between the SlackWare 3.0 X Window and
SlackWare 2.2 X Window that it'll be worth my time to download all 20+
disks of the 3.0 SlackWare X Window package?

Thanks!

Arcadio

2. kde themes

3. can't load library 'libgdbm.so.2' with Slackware 3.0 installation

4. WINE?

5. .mwmrc file not read (SWIM)

6. GCC-2.5.8 won't compile [/usr/include/limits.h:52: No include path...

7. 2.4 fix to allow vmalloc at interrupt time

8. game 'Hunt' included with slackware

9. Xfilemanager: 'Segmentation fault' (Slackware 3.0)

10. Slackware 3.0 probs 'xsetroot'

11. Slackware 3.0 'ascsi' boot disk is 1.3.18 (I want 1.2.13)

12. Slackware: what is '/usr/andy/bin' ?