Boot disk fails after CPU upgrade

Post by Chet Vor » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:24:22

Hi,

I upgraded from a 500 Mhz Athlon to an 850 MHz Athlon Tbird (lower level 2
cache, rest same) and now my linux partition fails to boot from the boot
disk. After unpacking the Vmlinuz kernel, it goes into Kernel panic mode (
says something like "Syncing failed" ). Does the Linux installation store
the CPUid somewhere which it seems to be comparing against....? I don't boot
from the drive partition directly as I already have Win98+2000 and trying to
add a third OS screws up the MBR. The upgrade worked flawlessly with
98/2000.

Any thoughts/ideas on how to go about accessing the linux partition ...?

TIA,
Chet

Post by Ivan DUTKA-MALE » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:42:40

> Hi,

> I upgraded from a 500 Mhz Athlon to an 850 MHz Athlon Tbird (lower level 2
> cache, rest same) and now my linux partition fails to boot from the boot
> disk. After unpacking the Vmlinuz kernel, it goes into Kernel panic mode (
> says something like "Syncing failed" ). Does the Linux installation store
> the CPUid somewhere which it seems to be comparing against....? I don't boot
> from the drive partition directly as I already have Win98+2000 and trying to
> add a third OS screws up the MBR. The upgrade worked flawlessly with
> 98/2000.

> Any thoughts/ideas on how to go about accessing the linux partition ...?

> TIA,
> Chet

I have experienced some kernel panics with my brand new athlon.
The reason (read from bugzilla) was that some internal code of the
kernel was *badly* optimized for the athlon.
Try the 'noathlon' option on the command line of the kernel (in
grub.conf or lilo.conf). This solved my problem.

--
Ivan DUTKA-MALEN
EDF R&D

Boot disk fails after CPU upgrade

Post by Chet Vor » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 06:29:22

Still no luck. I typed "linux noathlon" at the LILO prompt...

> > Hi,

> > I upgraded from a 500 Mhz Athlon to an 850 MHz Athlon Tbird (lower level
2
> > cache, rest same) and now my linux partition fails to boot from the boot
> > disk. After unpacking the Vmlinuz kernel, it goes into Kernel panic mode
(
> > says something like "Syncing failed" ). Does the Linux installation
store
> > the CPUid somewhere which it seems to be comparing against....? I don't
boot
> > from the drive partition directly as I already have Win98+2000 and
trying to
> > add a third OS screws up the MBR. The upgrade worked flawlessly with
> > 98/2000.

> > Any thoughts/ideas on how to go about accessing the linux partition ...?

> > TIA,
> > Chet

> I have experienced some kernel panics with my brand new athlon.
> The reason (read from bugzilla) was that some internal code of the
> kernel was *badly* optimized for the athlon.
> Try the 'noathlon' option on the command line of the kernel (in
> grub.conf or lilo.conf). This solved my problem.

> --
> Ivan DUTKA-MALEN
> EDF R&D

Boot disk fails after CPU upgrade

Post by Chet Vor » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 06:46:35

Oops.. I meant at the boot disk prompt.

Quote:> Still no luck. I typed "linux noathlon" at the LILO prompt...

Boot disk fails after CPU upgrade

Post by Chet Vor » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:16:31

Quote:

> > I have experienced some kernel panics with my brand new athlon.
> > The reason (read from bugzilla) was that some internal code of the
> > kernel was *badly* optimized for the athlon.
> > Try the 'noathlon' option on the command line of the kernel (in
> > grub.conf or lilo.conf). This solved my problem.

Well, turns out the stuff about linux kernel optimizations for Athlon is just
humbug.

linux x86_serial_nr=1 at the boot disk prompt solved the problem.

1. 4.1 SCSI boot fails, 4.0->4.1 upgrade boot OK

Hi:

I installed 4.1 from scratch on a Digital Celebris P133 box [Phoenix 4.14
BIOS] with an Adaptec AIC 7850 SCSI controller and a 2GB Seagate Barracuda
SCSI disk. The install goes fine [I have to boot from floppy as this system
doesn't support bootable CDROM].

After install, I cannot boot from the disk [which shows up as C: i.e.
disk1].

If I install 4.0 from scratch and then *upgrade* to 4.1 it boots OK. I have
duplicated this on a 2nd machine [same kind of box, but 3 SCSI disks].

I understand that the 4.1 i386 bootstrap code is 2x bigger. Is there some
magic that needs to happen for an older BIOS to work with the new boot
system? I tried 'boot0cfg -o packet' but got no improvement. The system
fails to boot whether I use the boot manager or the basic FreeBSD-only
loader.

Thanks - Jeff Stelzner

2. usability participants wanted for installation study

3. RH6 "Boot failed" from boot disk

4. Mount Digital Camara Smart Card??

5. Problem: 'boot failed' upon initial try of boot disk

6. Select failed on 2.8, but not 2.5.1

7. Solaris 10 SVM fails to boot from mirrored disk on 2 disk system; need help!

8. Getty, color, and the staircase effect

9. Problem: 'Boot failed' upon initial try of boot disk.

10. Boot failed message with RED Hat boot disk !

11. Access to disks when CPU fails

12. help pls - fsck fail on boot; fixed, fsck still fails on boot

13. ultra 2 won't boot with CPU upgrade