Redhat Linux won't recognize my Pioneer CDROM

Redhat Linux won't recognize my Pioneer CDROM

Post by Tim Gilm » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Help!  I can't put Linux on my new computer. :(

I have an ATAPI Pioneer DR-A24X CDROM sitting on "hdb".  I have
tried both Redhat 4.1 and 4.2 boot disks, and the installation
stalls when attempting to locate my CDROM.  Is this device unsupported
or is there possibly a Plan B around?

Tim
--
Tim D. Gilman  <remove DELETETHIS from the address when replying)
http://www.best.com/~tdgilman

Post by Alan E. Atwoo » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Help!  I can't put Linux on my new computer. :(

> I have an ATAPI Pioneer DR-A24X CDROM sitting on "hdb".  I have
> tried both Redhat 4.1 and 4.2 boot disks, and the installation
> stalls when attempting to locate my CDROM.  Is this device unsupported
> or is there possibly a Plan B around?

> Tim
> --
> Tim D. Gilman  <remove DELETETHIS from the address when replying)
> http://www.best.com/~tdgilman

Make sure your CDROM is jumpered for MASTER.  My system had it on the
second IDE interface also, but came jumpered as slave.  Worked in DOS
and Win 3.11, but not in OS/2 or Linux.  Set it to MASTER and now
everyone is happy.

Redhat Linux won't recognize my Pioneer CDROM

Post by Daniel Kiracof » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > Help!  I can't put Linux on my new computer. :(

> > I have an ATAPI Pioneer DR-A24X CDROM sitting on "hdb".  I have
> > tried both Redhat 4.1 and 4.2 boot disks, and the installation
> > stalls when attempting to locate my CDROM.  Is this device unsupported
> > or is there possibly a Plan B around?
> Make sure your CDROM is jumpered for MASTER.  My system had it on the
> second IDE interface also, but came jumpered as slave.  Worked in DOS
> and Win 3.11, but not in OS/2 or Linux.  Set it to MASTER and now
> everyone is happy.

  Umm... no.  If it's hdb then that means second device on the *first*
ide interface.  It should be jumpered as slave.  Now, if it is first
device on second interface, then it should be hdc.

--
/* Daniel */

WWW: http://users.gurulink.com/drk

"Fear is only afraid of the absence of itself."  - Mediocrates

Post by Tim Gilm » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>I had the same problem when I try the new DR-A24X. But the problem has been
>resolved when I put the CDROM on hdc (the master in the 2nd EIDE interface)

Thanks all for the responses.  I tried the suggestion above and it still
did not detect my cdrom.  The strange thing is, the kernel does detect
it.  I can see that when it's booting on the floppy, it detects the cdrom
sitting on hdc.  It's just when the Redhat install procedure looks for
it, it hangs.  I think it is related to my motherboard (I have a PII-266).
It can't detect my hard drive either for a hard drive install!

Oh well.  Maybe I'll have to live with FreeBSD...

--

Post by Dave » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> >I had the same problem when I try the new DR-A24X. But the problem has been
> >resolved when I put the CDROM on hdc (the master in the 2nd EIDE interface)

> Thanks all for the responses.  I tried the suggestion above and it still
> did not detect my cdrom.  The strange thing is, the kernel does detect
> it.  I can see that when it's booting on the floppy, it detects the cdrom
> sitting on hdc.  It's just when the Redhat install procedure looks for
> it, it hangs.  I think it is related to my motherboard (I have a PII-266).
> It can't detect my hard drive either for a hard drive install!

> Oh well.  Maybe I'll have to live with FreeBSD...

> --
> Tim D. Gilman  <remove DELETETHIS from the address when replying)
> http://www.best.com/~tdgilman

Tim
        When you say the install "hangs" just make sure your waiting plenty of
time. I found in a recent installation (abet on a 486/33) the
autoprobing for CDROM took a long time (a Pentium running Linux will
make you impatient). I rebuilt the kernel after the initial install with
the specific driver and things move much faster.

Redhat Linux won't recognize my Pioneer CDROM

Post by Tim Gilm » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hey folks,

I got this to work.  When booting the setup floppy, enter the following
on the command line:

LILO: linux hdc=cdrom

This assumes obviously that the cdrom is sitting on "hdc".  Enter
whatever configuration you have.

CD-ROMs that are also on one of the IDE chains
that are connected to a controller card sometimes
also need the above paramter.

--
Tim D. Gilman  <remove DELETETHIS from the address when replying)
http://www.best.com/~tdgilman

1. 'Toolkit for Linux' won't recognize CDROM

Hi, I'm new to Linux and trying to install it on my computer.  I bought
the 'Toolkit for Linux' from Walnut Creek.  When I used the scsi boot
disk and color144 root disk, it would recognize my SCSI controller (Pro
Audio Spectrum 16) but not the SCSI CDROM attached to it.  Finally, I
copied the A disks onto floppies and installed with those.  I thought
then I might be able to mount it.  As instructed in the CDROM-HOWTO, I ran:

mknod /dev/sr0 b 11 0
and
mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom

but it said that /dev/sr0 was not a valid block device.  Doesn't the 'b'
in the mknod command create it as a block device?
Also, I read in another post to
cat /proc/devices
and
cat /proc/filesystems

to find out about my active devices, but I have neither of those files.
Any ideas?  I don't want to install ALL of the Linux stuff by disk!
                                Thanks.
                                        Emil Aalto

2. @Home Cable Modem Setup

3. HELP! RedHat 6.0 won't recognize cdrom

4. Routing on same subnet

5. Linux:Won't recognize CDROM after installation

6. /dev/modem permission

7. Linux won't recognize CDROM

8. Quotas in linux kernel??

9. linux won't recognise cdrom - help please

10. Linux won't recognize SB / CDROM

11. LINUX won't recognize my CDROM

12. CDROM: Linux won't recognize it- Please help

13. Changed cdrom setting now linux won't recognize it