1. Two IPs - one network card - routing not working why???
I am trying to set up my Linux machine (Mandrake 6.1) as a firewall.
Before I do this I want to check I can set multiple IP addresses on our
web side network card and ping it from beyond our router. I have one
network card on a web side network and another on our internal network.
I have a few machines on the web side network (all NT except this Linux
box). When I ping both of the Linux IP addresses on the web side
network from a machine on the same network everything works. When I
ping from a machine on the Internet I only get a reply from one of the
IP addresses. I know my router is configured correctly as the Linux
machine is replacing an NT box. I have tried traceroute but it does not
really tell me anything. I have put enable routing on and off to no
effect. Can anyone help ? I may have no choice but to go back to NT if
I can't fix this !!!
I have included my routing table and details of my ifconfig to see if
someone can spot what I am doing wrong. have I made an obvious mistake
anywhere or is this a bug.
Destination Gateway Genmask Iface
AA.AA.AAA.200 * 255.255.255.255 eth0
XX.X.XXX.236 XX.X.XXX.233 255.255.255.255 eth1
XX.X.XXX.234 XX.X.XXX.233 255.255.255.255 eth1
XX.X.XXX.232 * 255.255.255.248 eth1
AA.AA.AAA.0 * 255.255.255.0 eth0
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 L0
default XX.X.XXX.233 0.0.0.0 eth1
eth0 inet addr : AA.AA.AAA.200 broadcast 255.255.255.255 netmask
eth1 inet addr : XX.X.XXX.236 broadcast XX.X.XXX.239 netmask
eth1:1 inet addr : XX.X.XXX.234 broadcast XX.X.XXX.239 netmask
eth0 is on an internal network and eth1 is on a web side DMZ. Addresses
starting AA.AA.AAA are internal and addresses starting XX.X.XXX are web
When I ping .236 or .234 from web side network everything works fine.
When I ping .236 from beyond our router (.233) I get a reply.
When I ping .234 from beyond the router (.236) I get get 'request timed
Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
2. Need privs on mail and mailx binaries?
3. Nishan IPS 3000 and IPS 4000 docs
4. Where is RNINIT var/file of rn under ksh
5. ipconfig - multiple IPs - swapping IP effect on alias IPs?
6. Request: Advocacy Pieces From Veterans
7. MASQing 2 global ips to 2 private ips how?
8. mod_php4..... php.ini setting question
9. RH 5.2 -> RH 6.0 Networking not working
10. Masquerading not working for some IPs
11. .htaccess problem: numerical ips work, names do not
12. 4.2 nic aliasing, multiple IPs, one nic does not work???
13. Multiple IPs Not Working...