Linux no longer see's DOS drive after upgrade

Linux no longer see's DOS drive after upgrade

Post by Nigel Longmir » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I just upgraded my dos disk (hda) from a 420MB drive to a 2GB drive and
now Linux (hdb) can't see it.
My first guess was that it was to do with disk geometry so I mucked
around with fdisk and all I managed to do was totally hose hda (oh well,
ya live and learn).
On boot up, both drives are recognised as
hda: QUANTAM 2014MB w/81kB Cache, LBA, CHS=1023/64/63, DMA
hdb: CONNER 1275MB - CFS1275A, 1219MB w/64kB cache CHS=619/64/63

but during the mount process the following appears
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 16, check=n, conv=b, uid=0, umask=022, bmap]
[me=0xf8,cs=8,fs=32,f1=0,ds=32,de=0,data=32,se=0, s=4120641,ls=512]
Transaction block size=512
VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 03:01.

The last line comes from inode.c

I know I can't be the first person to replace a dos drive so there must
be some way to fix it, so if anyones has any ideas, please let me know.

Nigel

1. RedHat upgrade no longer sees /dev/cua0?

This falls under the "I should have known better" category.

Last night I upgraded from RedHat 5.0 to 6.0 on a desktop Pentium II
300 w/96 megs of ram. upgrade seemed to go fine, but...

i can no longer use my internal modem (at /dev/cua0). seyon or kermit
will open, but they don't seem to send any signals to the modem (i
listen on the phone as it is supposed to dial). i tried to re-build
the device with MAKEDEV, but that failed as well (did not know how to
make /dev/cua0).

any advice?

there's another problem. when i try to build a kernel, it fails with
the message "as86: program not found." what is this and where do i get
it?

thank you!

scott

2. New or Revised TAs on websco, 961004

3. GCC Upgrade - 'make' no longer works!

4. AIX from CD to tape

5. solid state "floppy" - DOS sees, linux doesn't - why?

6. attaching a debugger to a process on HPUX

7. mcd should wait longer before reporting 'no cdrom in drive'

8. THERMAL WARNING in /var/adm/messages

9. Linux sees my cdrom but can't find a CD in drive?????

10. Can no longer mount DOS drive!

11. can't install LINUX, DOS can't find CDROM drive (WIN95)

12. Linux no longer sees modem: help!

13. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'