phone rings, linux answers!?

Post by shaughn » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:56:03

Hi,

Newbie and new installation of SuSe 7.0 on Toshiba 500CDT laptop.  When
the phone rings, and the PC is powered, it answers on the first ring and
WAILS!  I assume it's acting like a fax machine --- but I'm not sure.  I
didn't purposely set it up to do this.  Any ideas how to stop this,
where to look?

shaughn B

phone rings, linux answers!?

Post by Ron Nicholl » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:18:13

It would seem your modem is configured
to answer.
You will have to check the modem manual
to disable to answer mode.
I think it may be one of the "S" register entries-
it has been a long time since I got into modem
config

--
-
-

Quote:> Hi,

> Newbie and new installation of SuSe 7.0 on Toshiba 500CDT laptop.  When
> the phone rings, and the PC is powered, it answers on the first ring and
> WAILS!  I assume it's acting like a fax machine --- but I'm not sure.  I
> didn't purposely set it up to do this.  Any ideas how to stop this,
> where to look?

> shaughn B

phone rings, linux answers!?

Post by Mark Tayl » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:59:03

Quote:>Hi,

>Newbie and new installation of SuSe 7.0 on Toshiba 500CDT laptop.  When
>the phone rings, and the PC is powered, it answers on the first ring and
>WAILS!  I assume it's acting like a fax machine --- but I'm not sure.  I
>didn't purposely set it up to do this.  Any ideas how to stop this,
>where to look?

>shaughn B

You probably have a getty attached to a serial port. In /etc/inittab there
would be a line like this...
S0:35:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D ttyS0

Or very similar.  Just comment out the line. That should do it. Be sure you
get the one with S0 and S1 on the end. Those are the serial ports.

Mark

phone rings, linux answers!?

Post by Mark Tayl » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 04:11:44

>It would seem your modem is configured
>to answer.
>You will have to check the modem manual
>to disable to answer mode.
>I think it may be one of the "S" register entries-
>it has been a long time since I got into modem
>config

>--
>-
>-
>Regards
>RonN

>> Hi,

>> Newbie and new installation of SuSe 7.0 on Toshiba 500CDT laptop.  When
>> the phone rings, and the PC is powered, it answers on the first ring and
>> WAILS!  I assume it's acting like a fax machine --- but I'm not sure.  I
>> didn't purposely set it up to do this.  Any ideas how to stop this,
>> where to look?

>> shaughn B

Your right. I forgot the obvious.  If the modem is responsible, then set
register S0=0

Mark