Sound configuration RH 7.1

Post by Luke Vanderflui » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 08:26:46

Hi,

using linux 2.4
I have the sound module working
However when I try to configure it with sndconfig, it complains that it
can't open /dev/audio
when I do 'cat /dev/sndstat', I get a permission denied message.

I've read that with 2.4 kernel, /dev/sndstat is no longer used.
If so, what do I use to check the status of the sound module?

'dmesg' gives the following, which might be useful in tracking the fault.

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: Creative SB16 PnP detected
sb: ISAPnP reports 'Creative SB16 PnP' at i/o 0x220, irq 5, dma 1, 5
SB 4.13 detected OK (220)
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 5a50beec
  printing eip:
c8898330
pgd entry c52675a4: 0000000000000000
pmd entry c52675a4: 0000000000000000
... pmd not present!
Oops: 0002

any help appreciated,
Luke

1. RH 7.1 Printer configuration problem

Hi :
I just migrated to RH 7.1 from RH 7.0. I m having problem with my
printer.
I used the new tool printconf to do the job. I defined a new queue.
But when I try to test a page ( or invoke lpq from teh command line ),

not be located. I searched the web and LPRng howto seemed to be
suggesting that I get this because I dont have an /etc/printcap. In my
case I have one except that it only have comment lines ( cautioning me
not to edit it directly ).
1. So how am I supposed to get printcap configured. Or did I miss
something else.
2. Also in the earlier print configuration tool ( which I used to
launch from the control-panel ), there was an option to define a queue
that will print 2 ( or 4 or 8 ) pages on one side of the sheet. I
couldn t find any ways in the new printconf. Is that a dead end.

-sony

2. Survey: Solaris[tm] 10 Secured at Install: Voice Your Opinion

3. post-installation configuration on RH 7.1?

4. Proxy setting with linux 6.0 and netscape 4.5

5. configuration file for RH 7.1 distribution

6. another IDE cleanup: kill duplicated code

7. PPPoE configuration RH 7.1

8. Linking C code with C++ code

9. sound configuration: redhat 7.1

10. not finding sound-service-0-3 under RH 7.1+kernel 2.4.5-10

11. Sound Card Problem with RH 7.1

12. ISA Sound Blaster 16 Card not working on RH 7.1

13. RH 7.1 and ASUS A7M266 onboard sound??