Newbe: Help getting rid of lilo on 98 disk....

Newbe: Help getting rid of lilo on 98 disk....

Post by Matthew J. Zukows » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I was experimenting recently with Linux (redhat 6.1 install), and decided
to create a worst-case scenario, helping me decide whether lilo is
adequate for my needs or not.

I setup 2 masters on the two IDE channels, disk 1, win98, disk 2 Linux.
Lilo installed on disk one and pops up and I can select either or, great.

My problem is, assuming the Linux partition crashes for conversational
purposes, or I decide for some reason to physically remove the Linux HD, I
am unable to boot from the win98 disk.  All the data is there, directory
structure, etc etc, but it won't boot, repeats the came character, or
perhaps it's the same two.

In an attempt to recover this experimental windows 98 disk, I first
thought that I could just re "sys" it, but to no avail.  I also restored
track 0 using my EZ drive utilities, but to no avail.  I also tried ez
drive's boot manager, well, it worked in the since, EZ drive pops up, then
craps out at the same point in boot.

My Question is this:  Given that under these conditions I have NO access
to the Linux partition, what can I the user do to restore the proper boot
tracks to disk 1.  Given that lilo seems to * up more then just track
0.  Dos layer solution preferred as in my experimental scenario, I have NO
access to the Linux partition, so we will assume that the HD it was
original installed to is missing, destroyed, smashed, and no immediate
access to a spare.

(I do know I can get into 98 though a boot disk, or resolve the issue with
another disk with a new boot strap)

thanks

matt

Post by DeAnn Iw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>My Question is this:  Given that under these conditions I have NO access
>to the Linux partition, what can I the user do to restore the proper boot
>tracks to disk 1.  Given that lilo seems to * up more then just track
>0.  Dos layer solution preferred as in my experimental scenario, I have NO
>access to the Linux partition, so we will assume that the HD it was
>original installed to is missing, destroyed, smashed, and no immediate
>access to a spare.

>(I do know I can get into 98 though a boot disk, or resolve the issue with
>another disk with a new boot strap)

        Use "sys /mbr" to restore the master boot record (Win98 sys
for Win98 system).  Since removing all boot partitions, well, removes
all boot parititions, you always have to do this from something that
will boot (such as a rescue disk).

Newbe: Help getting rid of lilo on 98 disk....

Post by Mohd Nor Hashi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You must update your disk MBR using the hardisk disk manfacturer disk
wizard. You could download this utility from their home page.

> I was experimenting recently with Linux (redhat 6.1 install), and decided
> to create a worst-case scenario, helping me decide whether lilo is
> adequate for my needs or not.

> I setup 2 masters on the two IDE channels, disk 1, win98, disk 2 Linux.
> Lilo installed on disk one and pops up and I can select either or, great.

> My problem is, assuming the Linux partition crashes for conversational
> purposes, or I decide for some reason to physically remove the Linux HD, I
> am unable to boot from the win98 disk.  All the data is there, directory
> structure, etc etc, but it won't boot, repeats the came character, or
> perhaps it's the same two.

> In an attempt to recover this experimental windows 98 disk, I first
> thought that I could just re "sys" it, but to no avail.  I also restored
> track 0 using my EZ drive utilities, but to no avail.  I also tried ez
> drive's boot manager, well, it worked in the since, EZ drive pops up, then
> craps out at the same point in boot.

> My Question is this:  Given that under these conditions I have NO access
> to the Linux partition, what can I the user do to restore the proper boot
> tracks to disk 1.  Given that lilo seems to * up more then just track
> 0.  Dos layer solution preferred as in my experimental scenario, I have NO
> access to the Linux partition, so we will assume that the HD it was
> original installed to is missing, destroyed, smashed, and no immediate
> access to a spare.

> (I do know I can get into 98 though a boot disk, or resolve the issue with
> another disk with a new boot strap)

> thanks

> matt

Newbe: Help getting rid of lilo on 98 disk....

Post by JLN » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I keep getting a preferred_stack=2 error when tring to make xconfig in
/usr/src/linux dir

I am relatively new to Linux and have installled mandrake 6.5 with
everything, howver I want to recompile the kernel with new h/w settings, ive
tried make config and it again errors on the make dep command with the same
command!

JLN

1. lilo problem with Redhat 7.1 and Windows 98 on a 20GB disk

hello. this is definitely a faq, but i'm sorry i can't seem to find
the exact solution for my problem in any of the previous discussions i
went through. I've installed Windows 98 along with Redhat 7.1 on my
system. The partitions in the first 18GB have been given to windows
and the last 2GB is utilized for linux. i've installed lilo on the
first sector of linux boot partition. now when i set this linux
partition active, the computer just does not read lilo. it just stops
there, not giving any messages. the MBR which still has a win98 boot
loader is working fine for loading win98 but i need a way to get lilo
working. i've read most of the howto's on the subject but i'm confused
about what actually should be done to get this working.

thanks
pankaj.

2. Can't load bootblk

3. Win 98 covered my MBR, how to reinstall LILO w/o rescue disk?

4. IDE CD/ROM setup

5. Dual boot help - 98 works, Linux gets "kernel panic"

6. STL and GL Libraries ?

7. Get rid of Win 98

8. Maximum number of files that can be opened in linux

9. Win 98 install wiped LILO- help.

10. Win 98 trash lilo, need help

11. HELP: LILO may have hosed my Windows 98?

12. Getting Rid of LILO

13. Getting rid of LILO