Turning off touchpad tapping (in XWindow)

Turning off touchpad tapping (in XWindow)

Post by Vincent Lefevr » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 20:06:56

I would like to know how I can disable touchpad tapping in XWindow.
I couldn't find any answer with Google groups. :(

Note: I'm under LinuxPPC kernel 2.4.3-pre3, XFree86 Version 4.0.99.1.

TIA,

[fu2 comp.os.linux.setup]

--

validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des
Jeux Mathmatiques et Logiques, TETRHEX, etc.

Post by alexander.clou.. » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 06:44:47

> I would like to know how I can disable touchpad tapping in XWindow.
> I couldn't find any answer with Google groups. :(

> Note: I'm under LinuxPPC kernel 2.4.3-pre3, XFree86 Version 4.0.99.1.

> TIA,

it really depends on the touchpad model.  If it is a synaptics touchpad
then you need the application tpconfig.  That will sort out your problems,
it will also permit you to change a whole host of options :)

Quote:> Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

put linux on it yet? :)

Post by Vincent Lefevr » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:00:16

> it really depends on the touchpad model.

I don't know. It's the one of the Titanium, but I couldn't find any
information about it.

Quote:> If it is a synaptics touchpad then you need the application
> tpconfig.

Hmm... OK. I didn't read http://compass.com/synaptics/ correctly and
thought it wouldn't work... I'll try it.

Quote:>> Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> put linux on it yet? :)

No, only RiscBSD a few years ago.

--

Post by Vincent Lefevr » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:17:28

>> If it is a synaptics touchpad then you need the application
>> tpconfig.
> Hmm... OK. I didn't read http://compass.com/synaptics/ correctly and
> thought it wouldn't work... I'll try it.

tpconfig doesn't work. :( When typing "tpconfig --tapmode=0" after
killing gpm (and checking that it wasn't running any more), I get
the following error:

fatal: Could not open PS/2 Port [/dev/psaux]

--

Post by Yottabyt » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:47:46

> I would like to know how I can disable touchpad tapping in XWindow.
> I couldn't find any answer with Google groups. :(

> Note: I'm under LinuxPPC kernel 2.4.3-pre3, XFree86 Version 4.0.99.1.

> TIA,

> [fu2 comp.os.linux.setup]

What brand is your touchpad?
--

Ask permission before sending files larger 128 KB via email.

Post by cameron.k.. » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:02:12

| I would like to know how I can disable touchpad tapping in XWindow.
| I couldn't find any answer with Google groups. :(

You can generally turn the touchpad on or off, its generally a BIOS thing.
On my old Acer, it was Fn-T

However,

If you use an external (non-PS/2) mouse, you can set X up with 2 mice, the
first being your internal laptop pad, and the second being your external,
then set the Buttons option for the internal to 0. (untested)

| Note: I'm under LinuxPPC kernel 2.4.3-pre3, XFree86 Version 4.0.99.1.

Oh, PPC. I think there might have been a similar question recently on
comp.os.linux.powerpc, or in this group.

http://groups.google.com/

--

Website (recently moved) http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~cameronk/
--

Post by Vincent Lefevr » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:58:01

> Oh, PPC. I think there might have been a similar question recently on
> comp.os.linux.powerpc, or in this group.

OK, I saw it. And "trackpad notap" solved the problem. Thanks!

--

validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des
Jeux Mathmatiques et Logiques, TETRHEX, etc.

1. Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Thought it only fitting that my first post from this box be to COLA, Many of
you suffered with me through the ordeal of setting it up.

Some first impressions from a long time Win2K user:

Not sure about KNode for news yet, so far it doesn't feel as convenient as
Agent.it's too early to make final judgements though.

Ethereal is doing, its thing, and KMail seems to sub nicely for my normal
Eudora/Outlook combination.

I'm still undecided on how I feel about Konqueror as a file manager, my raw
first impressions are quite mixed, it's definitely different from Windows
Explorer. and "different" can go either way.

All in all though I'm quite pleased, and am looking forward to having a
torrid affair with SuSE.

2. RS6000 NFS?

3. Xwindows turns my screen off on occasion!!

4. Replica database queries - Newbie

5. PS/2 Mouse-Touchpad on Laptop drivers for 'tapping' instead of clicking

6. Using a DPT PM 2021 ISA SCSI-2 - Help Needed

7. Disabling touchpad tap feature?

8. suggestions

9. disable tapping with ALPS/GlidePoint touchpad

10. Synaptic Touchpad Taps Giving Enter Keys

11. Ways of turning echo off ... off

12. How do you turn off the boot beep?

13. Turn off Virtual desktop?