IRQ conflict oops

Post by Hunter Ritchi » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Penguins,

    I just installed the 2.2.5 kernel (using RedHat 6.0) on an old 486
machine (with 20Mb RAM).  This is significant because the custom install
takes almost a full *4 hours*, and that took a few tries (I'm diligent if
not bright).

    Problem::    I oopsed and set up my ethernet (LinkSYS EtherLAN 16, ISA)
card as IRQ 5 in the installation procedure, but the card is configured to
use IRQ 10.  IRQ 10 is available on my system, I just need to point the
kernel to it.  I tried forcing 'ifconfig' and using the 'ether=' at boot,
and neither worked.  I would like to change the script, module, kernel, or
whatever without reinstalling Linux on this box.

    Questions::    Am I using the right techniques incorrectly?  Does
anybody know how this should work?  Or what rc scripts I look in to change
the value directly?

    I can change the value of the card itself using a configuration utility
under DOS, but again, this thwarts my ultimate system configuration goals.
    Any help is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pops

IRQ conflict oops

Post by Wayne Larmo » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Penguins,

>     I just installed the 2.2.5 kernel (using RedHat 6.0) on an old 486
> machine (with 20Mb RAM).  This is significant because the custom install
> takes almost a full *4 hours*, and that took a few tries (I'm diligent if
> not bright).

>     Problem::    I oopsed and set up my ethernet (LinkSYS EtherLAN 16, ISA)
> card as IRQ 5 in the installation procedure, but the card is configured to
> use IRQ 10.  IRQ 10 is available on my system, I just need to point the
> kernel to it.  I tried forcing 'ifconfig' and using the 'ether=' at boot,
> and neither worked.  I would like to change the script, module, kernel, or
> whatever without reinstalling Linux on this box.

>     Questions::    Am I using the right techniques incorrectly?  Does
> anybody know how this should work?  Or what rc scripts I look in to change
> the value directly?

>     I can change the value of the card itself using a configuration utility
> under DOS, but again, this thwarts my ultimate system configuration goals.
>     Any help is always greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Pops

Did you try Linuxconf?  Config/Networking/Client tasks/Basic Host
information.

Wayne Larmon
http://www.scrounge.org/