Linux install on a X386?

Post by me » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all,

Hope someone can help with this one.  I have a x386 that I can not seem
to get Linux installed on.

Try number one (and two and three...) was using RH6.1 via CDROM.  It
hung soon after loading the NIC drivers while leaving the CDROM drive
churning madly.  I tried leaving it for as long as an hour but no
change.

Try number two (and four and five...) was using RH6.1 via FTP.  I
networked it to another of my PC's running RH6.1 and used the net
install to get the files I had stored on the Hard Drive.  It hung while
trying to retreive the base/stagetwo.img file.  A check of the FTP logs
showed it had grabbed about 5900 bytes before freezing.

Is this a hardware problem?  Or perhaps I just do not have enough memory
to install Linux?

Relevant Hardware: x386, 8Mb Ram

Thanks in advance,

-Raj

Linux install on a X386?

Post by Phil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

although it may be difficult to get more than a minimal install on your
machine...
you must be sure to get an i386 distribution...
are you using a distro designed for use on a pentium or 486 machine???

you might also try such small er distros such as peanut linux or pygmy linux

--

Philo

website: www.plazaearth.com/philo

Linux install on a X386?

Post by me » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks... it hadn't even crossed my mind to look for a tailor-made distro... I
guess that's what happens when you spend most of your day living in
Windoze-one-size-fits-all land...

-Raj

> although it may be difficult to get more than a minimal install on your
> machine...
> you must be sure to get an i386 distribution...
> are you using a distro designed for use on a pentium or 486 machine???

> you might also try such small er distros such as peanut linux or pygmy linux

> --

> Philo

> website: www.plazaearth.com/philo

Linux install on a X386?

Post by Kevin Crox » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Even some mainstream distros still come optimized for 386's --Slackware
being one. All the many precompiled kernels that are included on the Slack
CD are 386 bootable; the assumption is if you're installing on zippier
hardware than a 386, you can compile your own optimized kernel later.

--Kevin

>Thanks... it hadn't even crossed my mind to look for a tailor-made distro... I
>guess that's what happens when you spend most of your day living in
>Windoze-one-size-fits-all land...

>-Raj

>> although it may be difficult to get more than a minimal install on your
>> machine...
>> you must be sure to get an i386 distribution...
>> are you using a distro designed for use on a pentium or 486 machine???

>> you might also try such small er distros such as peanut linux or pygmy linux

>> --

>> Philo

>> website: www.plazaearth.com/philo

1. Install X386 on Linux - problems

Hi,
 I just installed linux SLS on my PC and it seems working well except: X386.
I've spend one full day trying to run X with no success. Please help.

I have a Gateway2000 386DX-25MHz, with 4Mb RAM,
A speedstar plus vers. 4.23 Diamond with 1Mb.

I tried some posted Xconfig examples ... all what I get is a black screen
while somethings is reading from the hard disk for some time and then nothing.
when I press some commands (even X commands) it looks like something is working
but I cann't see any thing. I don't ask for much I just want now (as a start)
to see X mono with any low resolution (then I will try to step to colors or
higher resolutions if possible).

All what I understand is changeing Xconfig on its directory and then run startx.
is there any other steps or thing to check? Please any help, comments, notes
and/or examples will be appreciated.

                                        Thanks,
                                        hassan

2. Help with print server

3. linux port of x386 1.2e 1.0

4. HP-UX 9000/755

5. X386, Linux, Logitech -- here we go again

6. Flaky DOS-Linux Network...

7. Source code of linux and X386 on floppy

8. New WWW Magazine!

9. linux version for x386?

10. Is XView 3.0 available for Linux/X386 ????

11. Linux X386-GW1572FSG & Mach32

12. X386 latests Linux work.

13. Linux on chips other than x386? experiences