ppp-up doesn't work anymore

Post by Joel Smit » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:35:03

previously, i used the script ppp-up and everything worked fine and
now when i use it, it will dial make the noise, sound like it has
connected but then exit.  it produces the following from
/var/log/messages

 pppd[1479]: No CHAP secret found for authenticating us to nas63.wdc2.Level3.net

 pppd[1479]: CHAP authentication failed
 pppd[1479]: Connection terminated.
 /etc/hotplug/net.agent: NET unregister event not supported
 pppd[1479]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
 pppd[1479]: Exit.

i have chap-secrets and pap-secrets in /etc/ppp.  why did it work
before and what's going on now???

ppp-up doesn't work anymore

Post by Werne » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 02:54:44

Quote:> i have chap-secrets and pap-secrets in /etc/ppp.  why did it work
> before and what's going on now???

How do these files compare? As I see it, they should have the same content.
Chap authentication is - if I'm right - only checked randomly.

Regards,
Werner.

ppp-up doesn't work anymore

Post by Bill Unr » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:15:15

]previously, i used the script ppp-up and everything worked fine and
]now when i use it, it will dial make the noise, sound like it has
]connected but then exit.  it produces the following from
]/var/log/messages

] pppd[1479]: No CHAP secret found for authenticating us to nas63.wdc2.Level3.net

] pppd[1479]: CHAP authentication failed
] pppd[1479]: Connection terminated.
] /etc/hotplug/net.agent: NET unregister event not supported
] pppd[1479]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
] pppd[1479]: Exit.

]i have chap-secrets and pap-secrets in /etc/ppp.  why did it work
]before and what's going on now???

On what system?
You need to make sure that you have a
user <username>
option toi pppd in your ppp-up or /etc/ppp/options file and a line
<username> * password *
in chap-secrets.

1. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

I have a communications server that's been giving us fits for a few
months now.  I can't seem to locate the problem.  I've been searching
DejaNews for analogous problem, but it looks like it's either something
I'm doing wrong, or I can't find it from the keywords I'm using.

    The machine will call the ISP on startup and work just fine, using a
static IP, BTW.  After a few hours it simply gets 'clogged' and won't
ping in either direction anymore.  The machine is pinging a couple of
times a minute in order to defeat the idelout on the terminal server,
but despite the inability to ping, it still doesn't hang up.  This
usually happens after several hours of no non-ping activity, like
overnight.

    So we have a site that won't communicate and won't hang up either.
It's running 4.2 (for now) but in desperation, I intend to 'flush and
fill' 5.0 on it this weekend, though I'd rather not.

    It's too old a pppd to support "nomagic" and similar options...is
there anything that anyone has seen like this so far?

    Brian

Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262
http://dynasty.net/users/kilroy
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

2. NIS and windows 9x/NT

3. System Logging doesn't work anymore with PPP?

4. preforking cern problem

5. PPP doesn't work under 2.0.26 anymore :-(

6. Were you ...

7. PPP doesn't work anymore

8. ?? HP 7510e Parallel CD RW and RH 6.0 ??

9. xawtv doesn't work anymore: can't open /dev/video0: No such device

10. svgalib's 3d demo doesn't work anymore

11. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

12. PPP Doesn't wait anymore on init

13. Backspace in ftp doesn't work anymore