Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Louis POT » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00




Quote:

> I currently have a Pentium 120 with Win95 preinstalled (I have
> no old DOS) and I am wondering the procedures of installing
> Linux on a 500M partition of a 1G hard drive.  I have installed
> Linux on MS-DOS before but am not sure how Win95 will co-exist.
> Further more, I wonder if Linux can reconize my Supra 28.8 PnP
> modem (it says it's designed for Windows).

I currently use such a configuration without any problem.

I use slackware 3.0, kernel 1.2.13.

My Supra 28.8 is on Com4 (cua3 under linux), and works well both with
Linux and Win95.

Just one things, don't mount your Win95 partition under Linux like
a msdos filesystem, or if needed, use it only for reading, never for
writing. The long filenames support under Win95 use special entries
in FAT, which Linux don't recognize......

--
Louis POTY              |  Just some words for |

From Strasbourg, FRANCE |    ( An old dream)   |
************************************************

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Glenn La » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00



>I currently have a Pentium 120 with Win95 preinstalled (I have
>no old DOS) and I am wondering the procedures of installing
>Linux on a 500M partition of a 1G hard drive.  I have installed
>Linux on MS-DOS before but am not sure how Win95 will co-exist.

Should be no problem, unless you plan on sharing swap space between
win95 and linux (even then, the swap-space howto should still apply)...

From what I've read on the net, fips still works with win95, so you
can use that to make room for linux (don't sue me if it blows up your
harddrive)

Quote:>Further more, I wonder if Linux can reconize my Supra 28.8 PnP
>modem (it says it's designed for Windows).

sort of.. here's how i get mine to work.. i boot dos first, the drivers
that came with the modem tell it what it's irq and com port are, then
i warm reboot the computer into linux.  the modem remembers it's config
thru the reboot.

Quote:

>Lastly, I assume the Linux CD's available are the best way of
>installing it, yes?  And any recommended books?

Unless you have an ethernet connection and can go off of nfs, CD's are
are probably the best way to go.  The CD that came with the linux bible
has served me well.. avoid the linux universe kit/CD like the plague.

--
Glenn Lamb



 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Shal » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00


I am running Linux slackware 2.3 (1.2.8 kernel) on a Win95 partition using
UMSDOS so I see no reason for you to have any problems.  I am very new to Linux
and I have yet to run into any hangups.  I don't know about the modem but it
should.  I got the version of Linux on CD included in a book on loan from my
local library (it is only six months old).  It is very easy.
         Shaleh


I currently have a Pentium 120 with Win95 preinstalled (I have
no old DOS) and I am wondering the procedures of installing
Linux on a 500M partition of a 1G hard drive.  I have installed
Linux on MS-DOS before but am not sure how Win95 will co-exist.
Further more, I wonder if Linux can reconize my Supra 28.8 PnP
modem (it says it's designed for Windows).

Lastly, I assume the Linux CD's available are the best way of
installing it, yes?  And any recommended books?

Thanks.

Quote:

>Jeff

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Michael A Firesto » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00


Yes, Winodoze95 and Linux can coexist ( at least they do on my machine ).
The two main trick is to turn off the viral protection on Windoze ( I have
gathered from this group that it cause grevious problems ) if you want to
use LILO.

With respect to your modem, you will need to set the jumpers on the card to
a specific com port and IRQ.  I am using a Sportster 14.4 plug&play, but
set the jumpers.  Windoze95 saw the card and recognized it without problem,
and Linux can also see it.  As I have said, plug and play is great for
people who don't want to do Jonnhy Whizbang stuff to their computers, but
it sucks if you do.  I consider running to OSs on the same machine as
Johnny Whizbang.

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Wave Mak » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00



Quote:

>I currently have a Pentium 120 with Win95 preinstalled (I have
>no old DOS) and I am wondering the procedures of installing
>Linux on a 500M partition of a 1G hard drive.

As far as I can tell there is no problems inherit in running Linux and Win95
I am running both and have had no problems.  
As long as LILO is configured correctly its is smooth.


Quote:>And any recommended books?

I have just started with "Running Linux" by Matt Welsch and Lar Kaufman.  It
seems pretty good and not too dry either.  
 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by starsee » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00



>I currently have a Pentium 120 with Win95 preinstalled (I have
>no old DOS) and I am wondering the procedures of installing
>Linux on a 500M partition of a 1G hard drive.  I have installed
>Linux on MS-DOS before but am not sure how Win95 will co-exist.
>Further more, I wonder if Linux can reconize my Supra 28.8 PnP
>modem (it says it's designed for Windows).
>Lastly, I assume the Linux CD's available are the best way of
>installing it, yes?  And any recommended books?
>Thanks.
>Jeff

I just installed Linux on my Pentium 100 with Win95 and WinNT server
installed. First of all, you will have to decide which file system you
will want to run Linux under. I would suggest UMSDOS, because you
share the space with Win95. Make your boot disk and root disk and
install whichever packages you want. I have just recently installed
Linux myself and I am rather new to it, so I am afraid I can't be of
any more help. It runs beautifully on my system using the UMSDOS file
system and I didn't have to repartition my hard drive. When I want to
boot Linux, I just hit F8 when Win95 starts to boot, choose Command
Prompt, and run `linux.bat' that is included in loadlin15.zip in
Linux. If I can do it, I'm sure you can too...

Cory

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Richard BREITNE » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00



> Yes, Winodoze95 and Linux can coexist ( at least they do on my machine ).
> The two main trick is to turn off the viral protection on Windoze ( I have
> gathered from this group that it cause grevious problems ) if you want to
> use LILO.

>> If you're using Norton Antivirus for Win95 and that you have just
>> installed or modified LILO (running /sbin/lilo), NAV will complain
>> the next time you'll restart win95. This is because you've modified
>> the MBR. As NAV has inoculated the boot sector of your hard drive, it
>> complains about the modification. Just choose the "Inoculate" option
>> in presented Menu, and NAV will re-inoculate the MBR. After that,
>> you'll be perfectly quiet until the next /sbin/lilo invocation.

--
 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
*         Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo              *
*          ( The Lord of the Rings )                *

 \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Morten Enho » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00



says...
Quote:

>Yes it is possible.

>Windows 95 uses the same autoexec.bat/config.sys set up that DOS used to
>use, it just hides it from the user.  If you go in and edit it you can
>setup menus.

>Install loadlin and then create a menu item that calls linux.bat.  When
>you select this item it will load the kernel that you tell loadlin to
>use.

>Andy Harbick

How do i install Loadlin ?
i am curently using a boot floppy

Morten Enholm

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Alberto C Moreir » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00



>How do i install Loadlin ?
>i am curently using a boot floppy

I have the Slackware 2.3 CD and it works fine with Win 95. This is
what I did:

    - I have a 1.6 Gb hard disk. Linux runs on the bottom 1024 cylinders.

    - I made a directory \LINUX on my DOS drive C:.

    - I copied lodlin15.zip into it and unzipped it.

    - I copied a few kernels from the CD, such as SBPCD2 and BARE, into
      C:\LINUX.

    - I made a batch file LINUX.BAT with the one statement

          c:\linux\loadlin c:\linux\%1 /dev/hda2 ro hd=3148,16,63

      (My Linux system is in /dev/hda2).

    - When I want to run Linux:

          - Shutdown Win95
          - Restart it in MSDOS mode
          - type LINUX SBPCD (or whatever kernel I'm using)

Linux is now working fine. The Slackware CD has a program called SPL which
can load Linux from inside Windows 3.1, but somehow I can't make it work
in Win95.  

Hope this helps,

_alberto_

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Leath Mull » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00


starseed writes:

>>I currently have a Pentium 120 with Win95 preinstalled (I have
>>no old DOS) and I am wondering the procedures of installing
>>Linux on a 500M partition of a 1G hard drive.  I have installed
>>Linux on MS-DOS before but am not sure how Win95 will co-exist.
>>Further more, I wonder if Linux can reconize my Supra 28.8 PnP
>>modem (it says it's designed for Windows).
>>Lastly, I assume the Linux CD's available are the best way of
>>installing it, yes?  And any recommended books?
>>Thanks.
>>Jeff
>I just installed Linux on my Pentium 100 with Win95 and WinNT server
>installed. First of all, you will have to decide which file system you
>will want to run Linux under. I would suggest UMSDOS, because you
>share the space with Win95. Make your boot disk and root disk and
>install whichever packages you want. I have just recently installed
>Linux myself and I am rather new to it, so I am afraid I can't be of
>any more help. It runs beautifully on my system using the UMSDOS file
>system and I didn't have to repartition my hard drive. When I want to
>boot Linux, I just hit F8 when Win95 starts to boot, choose Command
>Prompt, and run `linux.bat' that is included in loadlin15.zip in
>Linux. If I can do it, I'm sure you can too...

I am running Win95 with Linux, and have made my second 1.2G HD into
a single Linux paritition (600 MB) and a single DOS partition (600MB).
I Found the best way for me to do it is install Win95, and then install
Linux second. LILO doesn't*with Win95's boot stuff at all, except
now I have LILO booting first. If I want to run Win95, I just hit
shift at the LILO prompt, and type dos. Win95 boots automatically as
usual from there...no problems.  And to think I was worried I wouldnt
be able to run them both... ;)

Leathal.

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by UNIX Guru Du » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00




>starseed writes:


>>>I currently have a Pentium 120 with Win95 preinstalled (I have
>>>no old DOS) and I am wondering the procedures of installing
>>>Linux on a 500M partition of a 1G hard drive.  I have installed
>>>Linux on MS-DOS before but am not sure how Win95 will co-exist.
>>>Further more, I wonder if Linux can reconize my Supra 28.8 PnP
>>>modem (it says it's designed for Windows).
>>>Lastly, I assume the Linux CD's available are the best way of
>>>installing it, yes?  And any recommended books?
>>>Thanks.
>>>Jeff

>>I just installed Linux on my Pentium 100 with Win95 and WinNT server
>>installed. First of all, you will have to decide which file system you
>>will want to run Linux under. I would suggest UMSDOS, because you
>>share the space with Win95. Make your boot disk and root disk and
>>install whichever packages you want. I have just recently installed
>>Linux myself and I am rather new to it, so I am afraid I can't be of
>>any more help. It runs beautifully on my system using the UMSDOS file
>>system and I didn't have to repartition my hard drive. When I want to
>>boot Linux, I just hit F8 when Win95 starts to boot, choose Command
>>Prompt, and run `linux.bat' that is included in loadlin15.zip in
>>Linux. If I can do it, I'm sure you can too...

>I am running Win95 with Linux, and have made my second 1.2G HD into
>a single Linux paritition (600 MB) and a single DOS partition (600MB).
>I Found the best way for me to do it is install Win95, and then install
>Linux second. LILO doesn't*with Win95's boot stuff at all, except
>now I have LILO booting first. If I want to run Win95, I just hit
>shift at the LILO prompt, and type dos. Win95 boots automatically as
>usual from there...no problems.  And to think I was worried I wouldnt
>be able to run them both... ;)

>Leathal.

I agree with Leathal.  I currently have LINUX (750 Meg), Windoze 95 (550 Meg)
and Widoze 3.11 (500 Meg) running on separate partitions.  I can boot any of
the three via lilo.  Caution, though.  If you have LINUX and Windows 3.*
with LILO, upgrading the Windoze 3.* to Windoze 95 will hose your LILO.
LINUX will still be out there, but you will need a boot disc to get to it.
You can then reinstall LILO.

I wouldn't go the UMSDOS route.  It's going to be slower than a pure
LINUX partition and LINUX and Widoze 95 coexist fine on two separate
partitions.
--
Until Later,

        http://www.veryComputer.com/~geof

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Alberto C Moreir » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00



Quote:>I agree with Leathal.  I currently have LINUX (750 Meg), Windoze 95 (550 >Meg) and Widoze 3.11 (500 Meg) running on separate partit=

ions.  I can boot >any of the three via lilo.  Caution, though.  If you have LINUX and >Windows 3.* with LILO, upgrading the Windoze=
 3.* to Windoze 95 will hose >your LILO. LINUX will still be out there, but you will need a boot disc to >get to it. You can then re=
install LILO.

I have a 500Mb partition for Linux and the rest of my 1.6Gb disk for
Windows 95. I'm using LOADLIN because my daughter likes to go into
Linux from DOS or Windows rather than having to ask for the OS at boot
time. I also had bad experience with LILO and I had to use FDISK /MBR
more than once to recover my system.

_alberto_

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by Devon Caine » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00


Another option...
I have a 800MB IDE drive and used FIPS to partition it...
216 for (200 for LINUX.. 16 for Swap disk)  6?? for WIN95.

I use lilo and simple select LINUX or leave it to default to
WIN95

DevonC

 
 
 

Linux + Win95 = Possible???

Post by David Woodhous » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00


I have a CONFIG.SYS menu that does much the same thing. No need to go
into Windoze first and then back out again though.


> Date: Mon, 19 FEB 1996 04:52:33 GMT

> Newgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
> Subject: Re: Linux + Win95 = Possible???


> >How do i install Loadlin ?
> >i am curently using a boot floppy

> I have the Slackware 2.3 CD and it works fine with Win 95. This is
> what I did:

>     - I have a 1.6 Gb hard disk. Linux runs on the bottom 1024 cylinders.

>     - I made a directory \LINUX on my DOS drive C:.

>     - I copied lodlin15.zip into it and unzipped it.

>     - I copied a few kernels from the CD, such as SBPCD2 and BARE, into
>       C:\LINUX.

>     - I made a batch file LINUX.BAT with the one statement

>           c:\linux\loadlin c:\linux\%1 /dev/hda2 ro hd=3148,16,63

>       (My Linux system is in /dev/hda2).

>     - When I want to run Linux:

>           - Shutdown Win95
>           - Restart it in MSDOS mode
>           - type LINUX SBPCD (or whatever kernel I'm using)

> Linux is now working fine. The Slackware CD has a program called SPL which
> can load Linux from inside Windows 3.1, but somehow I can't make it work
> in Win95.  

> Hope this helps,

> _alberto_

     ------------------------------------------------------
       __    __          ____         David Woodhouse
       | \  /  \ \    /  |             Robinson College,
       |  | |--|  \  /   |--            Grange Road,
       |_/  |  |   \/    |___            Cambridge.

     ------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

1. Possible to directly connect MS-DOZE to WIN95 (w/o linux-box)?

Possible to directly connect MS-DOZE to WIN95 via serial connection?

Which way do i connect a MS-DOZE-PC (286 Notebook) to a Windoze95 box?

Can I configure the MS-Client to use the direct connection of
win95 to connect to NetBEUI (i.e. serial device instead of ethernet
adaptor)?

Are there any PD|GNU  slip|ppp-daemons for Win95?

Linux + NCSA Telnet works fine, but is there something
like a  PD|GNU PC-NFS out there?

--
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
 B G K S            Max-Planck-Ring 8c/62       Kronekenberg 1
 Bj"orn Kulms     D-98693 Ilmenau (Th"ur)    D-38446 Wolfsburg
 cand. el.      FonFaxBBS +49(3677)670014   Fon +49(5363)40166

2. Limiting number of pages on a print job?

3. Linux on ez135 with win95 on hd, possible?

4. PCI video card not working with ALL graphics

5. Is this Linux/Win95 combo possible?

6. fix buggy comparison in cpqphp_pci.c

7. Win95 + Linux Dual Installation Possible?

8. new-user questionair

9. win95 client gets mail through linux machine from netware 3.xx mail server, POSSIBLE ?

10. Is it possible to view Linux in Win95

11. Is Exporting Modem from Linux-Server and Import to WIN95-Client possible??

12. Sharing E-Mail under Linux and Win95 - is it possible?

13. Booting DOS/WIN3.11, WIN95 & LINUX - is it possible?