Linux won't recognize my modem

Post by Scott Bourdea » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

I have a dual boot Windows 98 and RH Linux 5.2 system.  I have a 56K V.90
internal PCI (not a WinModem) modem that Windows 98 uses with no problems.
From what I've read in this newsgroup, Linux won't be able to use this
modem, because it is PCI.

I also have a 33.6K ISA internal modem installed (not a WinModem).  Windows
98 claims this modem is on COM5 with IRQ 3 (PnP figured this out).  This
modem works fine in Windows 98.

I'd like to get Linux to recognize and use the 33.6K modem.

I've followed the instructions in the RH 5.2 manual to try to set up ppp and
chat, but I cannot get the modem to dial out.  In fact, I've been
unsuccessful in communicating with the modem in any way.  I've looked at the
"setserial" command, but I'm somewhat confused on how to use it.

Here are some questions:

1.  How do I know which device in Linux represents my 33.6K modem?
(/dev/cua?)
2.  Do I require a softlink from this device to /dev/modem?
3.  Does what Windows sees as this modem's IRQ and port have any bearing on
Linux?
     (the modem is set via the jumpers to PnP mode)
4.  For connecting to the internet, what communications program(s) are the
best to use?
     (the only things I know about now are "ppp" and "chat")
5.  If I do need to use "setserial" to make changes to my system, will I
need to have these
     changes persisted in some type of rc.serial startup script?

That's enough for now.

Thanks in advance.

/Scott Bourdeau

Post by Rob Cla » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

>I have a dual boot Windows 98 and RH Linux 5.2 system.  I have a 56K V.90
>internal PCI (not a WinModem) modem that Windows 98 uses with no problems.
>From what I've read in this newsgroup, Linux won't be able to use this
>modem, because it is PCI.

Not exactly: software modems do not support Linux, and it just happens
that almost all of the PCI modems available today are software modems.

Quote:>I also have a 33.6K ISA internal modem installed (not a WinModem).  Windows
>98 claims this modem is on COM5 with IRQ 3 (PnP figured this out).  This
>modem works fine in Windows 98.

>I'd like to get Linux to recognize and use the 33.6K modem.
[..]
>     (the modem is set via the jumpers to PnP mode)

Life will be a lot easier for you if you use the jumpers to set the modem
to a "normal" IRQ/address pair such as COM2/IRQ3.  Then Linux will
immediately recognize your modem on /dev/ttyS1.  Otherwise, you will have
to use isapnptools to set the plug-and-play on your modem and then use
setserial to inform Linux where the modem lives.

Before you mess with ppp, you will probably want to try the modem with
minicom.  There is a lot of good information in the Modem HOWTO:

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html  <-- Linux/modem compat. list

Post by M. Buchenried » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

>I have a dual boot Windows 98 and RH Linux 5.2 system.  I have a 56K V.90
>internal PCI (not a WinModem) modem that Windows 98 uses with no problems.
>From what I've read in this newsgroup, Linux won't be able to use this
>modem, because it is PCI.

No, becaue it's a WinModem. Basically, a real PCI modem should work
with the standard serial driver, however, the PCI modems presently
sold are WinModems .

Quote:>I also have a 33.6K ISA internal modem installed (not a WinModem).  Windows
>98 claims this modem is on COM5 with IRQ 3 (PnP figured this out).  This
>modem works fine in Windows 98.

Linux is not PNP, therefor you'll have to use the fine isapnptools
to get it working.

pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

and then edit the resulting file to your needs.

Michael

1. Help: Linux won't recognize my modem

Hi,

I'm having problems to make linux recognize my modem. I'm using RedHat
4.2 (kernel 2.0.30). My modem is Compaq 336-VSC (internal) with irq=3
and address=0x2f8 (it's on COM2 at Win95). When starting kermit in
linux and doing a "set line /dev/cua1", the following message was
displayed:
               /dev/cua1 is not a terminal device
               Sorry, can't open connection: /dev/cua1

This happens even when I made sure that the /dev/cua1 is set with
correct parameters, i.e. "setserial /dev/cua1 irq 3 addr 0x2f8 uart
16550A".  Doing an "ls -l /dev/cua*" gives following infomation:

        crw-rw----  1 root    uucp     5, 64 Oct 11 13:37 cua0
        crw-rw----  1 root    uucp     5, 65 Dec 31  1979 cua1
        crw-rw----  1 root    uucp     5, 66 Dec 31  1979 cua2
        crw-rw----  1 root    uucp     5, 67 Dec 31  1979 cua3

Any ideas? I've already been tweaking this for quite along time and almost
give up... ;-(  Any hint will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--

School of Computer Science     WWW: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~zxyuan
McGill University              Phone(home):   (514)845-4293

2. Help: Auto password generation

3. Building a Reverse Proxy with W3C-httpd 3.0A

4. Linux won't recognise my internal modem.

5. numlockx-1.0

6. Help: Linux won't recognize my modem

7. Configure Dialin modem on Solaris 5.1

8. 'Toolkit for Linux' won't recognize CDROM

9. PCMCIA Modem recognized but won't engage

10. HELP: Yggdrasil fall 94 won't recognise my modem

11. Won't recognize modem

12. Redhat 7.0 won't recognize modem