New Linux User

Post by Muzikm » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,
      I'm a new Linux user and I have a couple of questions.

1.  How do I know if my CD rom drive is working and how do I check to
see files on my "A" drive with the "ls" command?

2.  Where can I find a decent CD Player for Unix (command prompt)?

3.  I'm not running the X Window platform because the chipset on my
Matrox card doesn't support it.  Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for your time....
Matt Paolini

New Linux User

Post by Wlme » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>1.  How do I know if my CD rom drive is working and how do I check to
>see files on my "A" drive with the "ls" command

to see the A: drive type the command:

ls  /dev/fd0;  to see the files on the A: drive you have to mount the
filesystem on that drive

for the CDrom run the command

ls /dev/cdrom

if this doesnt work. Try

ls ./dev/hdc

To see the files on the CDrom you also have to mount the filesystem.

New Linux User

Post by Roy Stogn » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>      I'm a new Linux user and I have a couple of questions.

>1.  How do I know if my CD rom drive is working and how do I check to
>see files on my "A" drive with the "ls" command?

"mdir a:" with mtools,
"mkdir /mnt/floppy; mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" if you don't
have things set up nicely in /mnt and /etc/fstab
"mount /dev/fd0" if you do

Quote:>2.  Where can I find a decent CD Player for Unix (command prompt)?

Check the Archives section of my links site,
http://roystgnr.jones.rice.edu/links/

See if cdplay came with your distribution.

Quote:>3.  I'm not running the X Window platform because the chipset on my
>Matrox card doesn't support it.  Is there anything I can do?

Matrox was a little late releasing card information, but I don't think
any Matrox card is unsupported now.  What distribution/version of
XFree86 do you have?  You probably need to upgrade the latter, and if
it's that old you may want to upgrade the former.
---
Roy Stogner

1. NEW Linux User = New Linux Shareware Web Site

NEW Linux User = New Linux Shareware Web Site

Hello,

 I am a new LINUX and X Windows user. I am also the Web Master of

Official Shareware Developers Web Pages
http://SLiceOfLife.com/Official/

We offer FREE Web Pages and FREE Shareware Page LINKS for
Shareware Developers.

If you are a shareware, freeware, demoware...
developer you can increase the your product distribution
using our FREE Services.

Official Shareware Developers Web Pages
FREEWare for Shareware Developers !!!
http://SLiceOfLife.com/Official/

2. AT1700 troubles

3. CD music with KDE doesn't work

4. New linux user needs help with new kernel

5. EIDE as 2nd controller with third driver

6. Red Hat 101: Help for new (and not so new) Linux users

7. Inherent Wackiness in Any Movement

8. New Linux User

9. New Linux User Q's HELP!

10. Please help new linux user with harddrive problems.

11. New Linux user and man question

12. New Linux User