How to get 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA III Ethernet card working

How to get 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA III Ethernet card working

Post by Dapeng Zh » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I just installed Slackware 3.1 after i blow my windows 95.  Everything
works fine except my Ethernet card.  The card service found this card,
got its name, but said it was unsupported.  Is there any way to get a
new driver?  Or is there anyone out there who got it to work?  Can i
force Linux to recognize it as a 3C589B card?  I know someone who got
that one working.

Thanks a lot.

p.s.  If possible, could you email me a copy?  My email address is:

Post by Michael Chapma » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I just installed Slackware 3.1 after i blow my windows 95.  Everything
> works fine except my Ethernet card.  The card service found this card,
> got its name, but said it was unsupported.  Is there any way to get a
> new driver?  Or is there anyone out there who got it to work?  Can i
> force Linux to recognize it as a 3C589B card?  I know someone who got
> that one working.

You just need to add it to the PCMCIA config file. I think this is in
/etc/pcmcia/config. The message you got delivers three strings (one or
more may be empty). Just add exactly these three strings into the config
file. (Its obvious how to do it when you see the file).

I also had an unsupported NE2000 clone - it returned "PCMCIA" as the
manufacturer (the first string) and simply "Ethernet" as the second
string.
Simply adding it to the config file with the pcnet_cs as driver works
fine.

(In my case it was a little more tricky as I needed to use the ethernet
card to install Linux from a CD on another machine!)

--
Michael Chapman

Post by Robert Loga » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I just installed Slackware 3.1 after i blow my windows 95.  Everything
> works fine except my Ethernet card.  The card service found this card,
> got its name, but said it was unsupported.  Is there any way to get a
> new driver?  Or is there anyone out there who got it to work?  Can i
> force Linux to recognize it as a 3C589B card?  I know someone who got
> that one working.

Get version 2.9.11 from:
http://hyper.stanford.edu/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/home.html

My 389D works on this....
bert
Linux - reaches the parts other beers fail to reach.
WWW: http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/~rl
WWW: http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/CCSR

How to get 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA III Ethernet card working

Post by Peter Lusmor » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

--------------2FED0775B139383EBCD54C80

Make sure you have the latest version of the PCMCIA routines (2.9.7 I
think) as they support all versions of the 3C589, I use a 3C589D on my
laptop and it wsn't recognised with the version that came with Slackware
3.3

> I just installed Slackware 3.1 after i blow my windows 95.  Everything
> works fine except my Ethernet card.  The card service found this card,
> got its name, but said it was unsupported.  Is there any way to get a
> new driver?  Or is there anyone out there who got it to work?  Can i
> force Linux to recognize it as a 3C589B card?  I know someone who got
> that one working.

> Thanks a lot.

> p.s.  If possible, could you email me a copy?  My email address is:

--------------2FED0775B139383EBCD54C80

begin:          vcard
fn:             Peter Lusmore
n:              Lusmore;Peter

tel;work:       0171 600 0542
tel;fax:        0171 600 2060
note:           Technology Consultant working on IT support for DMR Consulting Group (An Amdahl Company)
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end:            vcard

--------------2FED0775B139383EBCD54C80--

1. 3COM Etherlink III 10BaseT PCMCIA Card Model 3C589D installation in Mandrake 7.0 helps need

Linux forever!

I have been trying to install or make Linux Mandrake 7.0 detect my PCMCIA
card on my laptop (Toshiba 220CDS) without any success.  The PCMCIA card is
Etherlink III 10BaseT Model 3C589D from 3COM.  Lothar cannot detect it in
its Networking Device.  So I cannot access the internet right now with my
Laptop.

I have been wondering if someone can help me on this matter.

Thank you.

2. Equal Cost Multipath Support in FBSD 3.x?

3. Solution for 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA Ethernet card problem

4. PIIX4: not 100% native mode?

5. 3COM PCMCIA Ethernet Card (Etherlink III 3C589/B) OSR5

6. root disks, boot disks

7. Can't install 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA Ethernet card on Red Hat 7.2

8. PPP Newbie Problem

9. Solaris x86 & 3COM etherlink III (3C589D) card

10. Help with 3c589D/PCMCIA EtherLink III Card

11. Problems w/ 3COM Etherlink 3C589D PCMCIA Card

12. 3com 3c589d pcmcia card

13. Help for 3Com 3C589D-TP PCMCIA Card