corel linux installation problems, please help!!

corel linux installation problems, please help!!

Post by Alex Harasi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had the same problem, and all you have to do is this:
when you insert the boot disk. you're gonna see lots of stuff, like loading
linux, etc. then after you see 'checking hardware' or something like that,
the screen is gonna go blank, you're gonna see a prompt saying 'going on
graphics mode' or something like that, so as soon as you see that prompt
press ctrl-D. and everything will go fine, at least it worked for me.

Quote:>Hi,

Post by Rob Segerin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I have tried to install corel linux on a AMD Pentium 100 with 32mb ram
but when the installation programm comes up with loading corel linux
and then starting corel linux it already hangs!!!!
Can anybody please tell me why ?

Greetings,

Rob

corel linux installation problems, please help!!

Post by Rob Segerin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

thanks Alex, but it doesn't work for me. The installation programm
doesn't even come to 'checking hardware' but hangs already when it
says 'starting corel linux...'.

greetings,

Rob

> I had the same problem, and all you have to do is this:
> when you insert the boot disk. you're gonna see lots of stuff, like
> linux, etc. then after you see 'checking hardware' or something like that,
> the screen is gonna go blank, you're gonna see a prompt saying 'going on
> graphics mode' or something like that, so as soon as you see that prompt
> press ctrl-D. and everything will go fine, at least it worked for me.

> >Hi,

> >I have tried to install corel linux on a AMD Pentium 100 with 32mb ram
> >but when the installation programm comes up with loading corel linux
> >and then starting corel linux it already hangs!!!!
> >Can anybody please tell me why ?

> >Greetings,

> >Rob

1. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

I have made an attempt to instal linux on my 486dx2 66 & 1.8 Gb Harddisk & 20 Mb ram memmory
& Nec 5fge monitor & viper 2 MB vram graphic board.

I have read LINUX SCSI HOWTO and LINUX INSTALLATION HOWTO in both papers I could not find a solution.
I am new in the LINUX area and I don't have a clue what to do, so I ask the real prof's if they can help me out.

There is more information available if needed, please contact me.

1st I could go through the startup procedure, system hangs telling me
the following:

Partitiotion check:

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to allocate_device().

2th with dos fdisk I created on my second partition space for linux,
that is I changed the last logical drive for free space.

Under DOS I had 2 partitions 1 DOS and 1 EXTENDED :
DOS Partition 1 logical drive 102 MB, named C:
Extended Partition 10 logical drives 102 MB, named D: until M:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 600 MB, named N:

After the change:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 350 MB N:
Extended Partition about 250 MB free for LINUX

3th I started the instalation procedure again and now the system was
able to go beyond the error that acured in 1st.

4th I used linux fdisk to create sd16 swapdisk and sd17 linux native
disk and I wrote the information in the partition table and rebooted (stupid
idea I think now).

5th The computer or the installation reacts as in the 1st situation.

6th I tried dos fdisk to correct the problem but dos fdisk can't acces
the partition information anymore.

additional information:

Adaptec AHA-1542 CF BIOS v2.01 SCSI CARD

some information read from the screen while installing LINUX:

LILO

Welcome to slackware linux 2.3.0 bootkernel disk!

etc.

boot:           (enter to continue)

etc.

SCSI : 1 host

        Vendor: QUATUM   Model: PD1800S    Rev: 3162
        Type: Direct Acces      Ansi SCSI Revision: 02
Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi0, id 4, lun 0
scsi Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on device sda

Memory: etc. etc.

etc.

Checking 'hlt' instructions ok.

Partition Check :

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to
allocate_device().

After this the system hangs, I can use DOS drives c: until n:, I cannot use DOS FDISK.

I hope that I don't have to reformat my harddisk to solve the problem

Who can help me making DOS FDISK working again or to instal LINUX in the correct way ?

please HELP !!!

2. Network Documentation Tool

3. please help: corel and caldera linux install help

4. How can my linux machine obtain an IP from the network automatically?

5. HELP...Installation of Corel Linux on Win98 2nd Ed

6. help setting parity and word len for modem connection

7. Corel Linux Installation Help

8. How do I search for a file

9. Problems with Corel Linux installation

10. Corel Linux installation problem

11. corel linux installation problems

12. Corel Linux Installation Problem

13. Corel Linux on Acer Aspire Installation Problems