newbie:another CD ROM problem...please help

newbie:another CD ROM problem...please help

Post by Mark Walk » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install linux e, from a CD ROM drive. However linux does not seem to see the drive.

The Goldstar CD ROM drive is the master drive on a second IDE card. My first card
accommodates two hard drives. The mother board is a 486DX4-100. Can some kind soul help
this newbie get started.

many thanks in advance...

mark

Post by Greg Brow » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I am trying to install linux e, from a CD ROM drive. However linux does not seem to see the drive.

> The Goldstar CD ROM drive is the master drive on a second IDE card. My first card
> accommodates two hard drives. The mother board is a 486DX4-100. Can some kind soul help
> this newbie get started.

> many thanks in advance...

> markI'm having the exact problem with Slackware 2.2.1 from a SAMS book I

bought at CompUSA for $49.95.  I called the helpline and the fellow
there told me that for a $2.00/minute 900 call, he would help me with
the answer to the question.  I can't make 900 calls from work or home,
for that matter.  He said he would reply via email for free in a couple
of days.  I will let you know what he said when he replys.  In the
meantime, I guess we're both dead in the water.

I'll check back later.

Greg

1. newbie:another CD ROM problem...please help

I had the same kind of problem, when I first tried to load Linux.
Ultimately, I learned that you need to respond "ramdisk hdb:cdrom" at
the boot prompt of the installation disks.  Your mileage may differ,
depending on what IDE drive the CDROM is plugged into.  It might be hdb,
hdc or hdd.

Steve Hill

2. Remote Xterminals part of local display.

3. CD-ROM ATAPI ide1 please please help

4. /etc/printcap puzzler!

5. Jazz-16 and CD-ROM Install problem, please help - linup [01/01]

6. PDCD Driver?

7. CD-ROM problem, please help!

8. Okidata OL400e ghostscript driver problems

9. CD ROM Problems, Please Help!

10. Jazz-16 and CD-ROM Install problem, please help

11. cd rom problem,please help

12. CD-ROM problem, please Linux Gurus Help !!!

13. CD-ROM Problem! Please help...