No LILO boot prompt with RedHat 6.1

Post by Dave Kea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 I recently added a 6.4G drive and "upgraded" to Win98 and RedHat 6.1
 but don't get a boot prompt from LILO.  My drives are configured as
 follows:

 IDE1: hda - 6.4G (Master) - single FAT32 partition
       hdb - 1G (Slave) - linux natives including / as hdb1
 IDE2: hdc - CDROM (Master)
       hdd - 1.2G (Slave) - other linux native partitions

 I have tried several installations with RedHat 6.1, all with LILO
 installed on the MBR of hda, but none produces a LILO boot prompt.
 LILO worked fine when I had RedHat3 and Win3.1 installed separately
 on just the two 1G drives on IDE1.

 If I create a /boot partition, linux will only boot from the boot
 disk.  Without /boot, linux boots if it is the default. In either
 case, if dos is the default, it boots only if hdd is disconnected
 from the ribbon cable; otherwise the boot process hangs at the
 "Windows 98" screen.   / or /boot is always hdb1.
 Choosing the "linear" LBA option doesn't seem to matter.

 Is this a RH 6.1, LILO, or BIOS hard drive geometry problem?

 I'm willing to invest in another large hard drive to consolidate
 the linux partitions to the IDE1 slave, if that will solve the
 problem.  But I would prefer to use another workaround if one
 exists.

 Dave Kean

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. RH 6.1 After Install boots to command prompt not Graphical Prompt???

All,
Previously I installed Mandrake 6.0 and it booted directly to a
graphical prompt with choice of KDE or GNOME.  I've just installed (on
a dual 98 system) RH 6.1 3 times and during at least the last install
checked the option for graphical boot.  Instead I'm getting this
command prompt:

Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman)
Kernel 2.2.12-20 on an i686

xxxxx login: _

when I type in root and the password I get this:

If I type anything at this point it says:  command not found

How do I get to X Window and GNOME??

Thanks in Advance,
Robert

2. Problem with mpeg_play-2.0 and 24 bit screen

3. How can I install a zip drive in Redhat 6.1, and change lilo default boot?

4. Apache 1.3.0 installation error on Linux

5. I get LILO prompt but not LILO boot:

6. HELP! How to install new software?

7. lilo failing to boot initrd, boot process drops to init prompt

8. Q: experience w/t ASUS TX97-E + K6-200

9. lilo problems on RedHat 6.1

10. PR440FX Motherboard, SCSI, LILO, and Redhat 6.1

11. RedHat 6.1 rdev and lilo problems with /dev/ida

12. lilo misbehaves on redhat 6.1

13. RedHat 6.1, LILO, and Win98