Red Hat 5.1 Install and "no valid devices" error

Red Hat 5.1 Install and "no valid devices" error

Post by Eric Janss » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I just bought and am trying to install Red Hat 5.1, but it doesn't
seem to recognize my IDE hard drive.

The error occurs right after it asks me if I have any SCSI adapters.
I answer "no", and then it asks me if I would like to use Disk Druid
or fdisk to partition and set up my hard disk.

If I answer "Disk Druid" it says that "no valid devices were found on
which to create new filesystems."

If I answer "fdisk" it says "You do not have any hard drives
available"

My machine is a 486/25 with 16 mb of ram.  The hard disk is currently
FAT16 formatted and partitioned into two sections of 16 and 100 mb.
DOS can read my hard disk fine.  The Linux boot disk can read my
CD-ROM fine.

Anyone have an idea of what is wrong?  TIA,

Eric Jansson

Post by ChemicalTri » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I just bought and am trying to install Red Hat 5.1, but it doesn't
> seem to recognize my IDE hard drive.

> The error occurs right after it asks me if I have any SCSI adapters.
> I answer "no", and then it asks me if I would like to use Disk Druid
> or fdisk to partition and set up my hard disk.

> If I answer "Disk Druid" it says that "no valid devices were found on
> which to create new filesystems."

> If I answer "fdisk" it says "You do not have any hard drives
> available"

> My machine is a 486/25 with 16 mb of ram.  The hard disk is currently
> FAT16 formatted and partitioned into two sections of 16 and 100 mb.
> DOS can read my hard disk fine.  The Linux boot disk can read my
> CD-ROM fine.

> Anyone have an idea of what is wrong?  TIA,

> Eric Jansson

I just got RH 5.1 yesterday so I only know what I just read in the first
two chapters.

Have you used fips.exe to create a partition for Linux? I'm guessing
Linux doesn't recognize dos/fat partitions. (Make sure you read the
fips.txt file first before running it!)

Gee, I can't even get install running and I am already giving advice! :>

Red Hat 5.1 Install and "no valid devices" error

Post by Ivar Katm » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I got the same problem. I'm also running an 486/25. On the disk I've got a
Win95 partion and an old Linux-partition.

Ivar Katmo
Trondheim, Norway

Quote:>I just bought and am trying to install Red Hat 5.1, but it doesn't

Post by David N Waldman » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I just bought and am trying to install Red Hat 5.1, but it doesn't
> seem to recognize my IDE hard drive.

> The error occurs right after it asks me if I have any SCSI adapters.
> I answer "no", and then it asks me if I would like to use Disk Druid
> or fdisk to partition and set up my hard disk.

> If I answer "Disk Druid" it says that "no valid devices were found on
> which to create new filesystems."

> If I answer "fdisk" it says "You do not have any hard drives
> available"

> My machine is a 486/25 with 16 mb of ram.  The hard disk is currently
> FAT16 formatted and partitioned into two sections of 16 and 100 mb.
> DOS can read my hard disk fine.  The Linux boot disk can read my
> CD-ROM fine.

> Anyone have an idea of what is wrong?  TIA,

> Eric Jansson

You should have two partitions - the first one FAT16 for DOS, the other
should not be formatted at all or Linux cannot use it.

Hope this helps.

dnw
--
David N. Waldmann
Vice President

Post by root » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > I just bought and am trying to install Red Hat 5.1, but it doesn't
> > seem to recognize my IDE hard drive.

> > The error occurs right after it asks me if I have any SCSI adapters.
> > I answer "no", and then it asks me if I would like to use Disk Druid
> > or fdisk to partition and set up my hard disk.

> > If I answer "Disk Druid" it says that "no valid devices were found on
> > which to create new filesystems."

> > If I answer "fdisk" it says "You do not have any hard drives
> > available"

> > My machine is a 486/25 with 16 mb of ram.  The hard disk is currently
> > FAT16 formatted and partitioned into two sections of 16 and 100 mb.
> > DOS can read my hard disk fine.  The Linux boot disk can read my
> > CD-ROM fine.

> > Anyone have an idea of what is wrong?  TIA,

> > Eric Jansson

> You should have two partitions - the first one FAT16 for DOS, the other
> should not be formatted at all or Linux cannot use it.

> Hope this helps.

> dnw
> --
> David N. Waldmann
> Vice President
> Vermont Wardwoods

Hi,

        I had the same problem. The following worked for me:

At the lilo boot prompt type: linux ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 and press enter.
You might have to play around with these values. This forced the kernel
to recognise the ide port.

        I got these from /usr/src/linux/documentation/ide.txt, I'll e-mail it
to you.

HTH

Willem Brown
Technical Support