LILO trouble -- LILO hangs at startup

Post by Erik Max Franci » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> : My only lead on what the problem might be is that when running Linux's fdisk
> : on the drive in question I get the warning, "The number of cylinders on this
> : disk is set to 1149.  This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems

> Ignore this warning. It is not for Linux.

Ah, good.

Quote:> : So . . . is there any way to fix my problem, without reparitioning the drive?
> : Failing that, am I guaranteed that repartitioning the drive will resolve my
> : problem?

> It is very unlikely that repartitioning your drive will change anything.
> Question 1: Which LILO do you have? Slackware 3.0 includes a broken LILO.

I have Slackware 2.3.  As I said, LILO works just fine on the other machine (which
has one drive, which contains Linux native & swap partitions

Quote:> Question 2: How do you know what disk is booting?

I would presume it's the one on SCSI ID 0, as this was the DOS boot drive before.
How can I find out decisively?  (I'll try cutting power to all other drives and
boot the system after this session.)

--

San Jose, California, U.S.A. && 37 20 07 N 121 53 38 W && the 4th R is respect
H.3`S,3,P,3$S,#$Q,C`Q,3,P,3$S,#$Q,3`Q,3,P,C$Q,#(Q.#`-"C`- && 1love && folasade

LILO trouble -- LILO hangs at startup

Post by Andries Brouw » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I just recently switched over from having my DOS drive be the boot drive to
: having my Linux drive (an HP SureStore 2000LP SCSI 1 GB) be the boot
: (previously I was using floppies to boot Linux).  I installed LILO on the
: master boot record, and at startup (right after the BIOS declares the speed of
: the processor), the system locks.

[...]

the processor), the system locks.  I then tried installing it on the
superblock of the root partition, with the same results (not sure if this
would have been helpful in either case).

I can still boot the system with no problem using floppies, but I really would
like to use LILO (right now my DOS partitions are inaccessible), since it's so
damn convenient.

My only lead on what the problem might be is that when running Linux's fdisk
on the drive in question I get the warning, "The number of cylinders on this
disk is set to 1149.  This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO) . . ."  However, my second
Linux machine (with a Quantum Fireball 1050S SCSI 1 GB) gives this same exact
warning when running fdisk, and LILO runs on it flawlessly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?  I notice that in the
advanced fdisk options there are functions which allow you to change the
number of cylinders on the disk, but this obviously means repartitioning the
Linux drive, which is soemthing I'd rather not do unless it's absolutely
necessary (I've already installed a lot of stuff on it).

So . . . is there any way to fix my problem, without reparitioning the drive?
Failing that, am I guaranteed that repartitioning the drive will resolve my
problem?

Thanks.

--

Post by Erik Max Franci » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> OK, I interpreted your "I just recently switched over from having
> my DOS drive be the boot drive to having my Linux drive
> (an HP SureStore 2000LP SCSI 1 GB) be the boot"
> as meaning that you wanted to boot a physically different disk.
> (Or maybe you changed IDs? You don't have two disks on ID 0?)

Yes, I just changed the IDs of my drives (and their physical location in the
SCSI chain; the Linux drive, for instance, used to be external but is now
internal).  There are no SCSI ID conflicts, the bus is terminated, everything
seems to be fine.  (After all, I'm reading and replying to this from the exact
same machine -- I can boot fine with floppies, just not with

Quote:> The kernel that you are booting, and the LILO mapping file,
> are located below the 1024 cylinder mark?

How can I check this?

Quote:> Do Linux and your BIOS agree on C/H/S?

It's a SCSI drive, so BIOS doesn't know anything about it.  The work is done by
the SCSI card.  Incidentally, the SCSI card is an Adaptec AHA-2482A.

--

Post by David Hawort » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

:  [...]  Slackware 3.0 includes a broken LILO.
Is there a fixed version? Where?
--
=============

Tiger Communications          Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni

Post by A. Reiche » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: The kernel that you are booting, and the LILO mapping file,
: are located below the 1024 cylinder mark?
:
: Do Linux and your BIOS agree on C/H/S?

Points on this one.  I had the same problem when my Linux boot partition
exceeded the 1024-cylinder mark.  Repartitioning so the entire linux boot
partition was below 1024 solved the problem for me.

- Alan

LILO trouble -- LILO hangs at startup

Post by Andras Montv » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

1.If you have the root partition over 1024 cylinders, you do get trouble all the time.
2. LILO cannot start from partitions which begin over 1024 cyl.  (AFA_myLinux_IC)

If you do repartition your drive, you can do the following to solve all problems:

Put the BIOS entry of the Disk in LBA mode(e.g. c/h/s 621,64,63), then start Linux with
boot-parameters e.g.  hd=2484,16,63, start fdisk, change the numbers to 621/64/63 in
expert functionality, then make partitions, then reboot --> all your partitions are neatly
under 1024 cylinders. Without the boot parameters some Linuxes fail to recognize the
LBA drive.

Andras

1. LILO: lilo hangs after LI... Please help!

I installed an older version (slackware 2.1.0) on my pc at home.
sda1 is a dos partition, sda2 linux boot partition with lilo on the
mbr. When I boot, lilo hangs after displaying LI ...
Booting from floppy is no problem, all scsi devices are properly
recognized.
Motherboard is an ASUSTek P/I-P55TP4XE with NCR 53C810 PCI Fast
SCSI-2 controller.
The same linux system (the one I'm working with right now) on an
IDE hdd - no problem. I wonder if this is a hardware problem.?.

Thank you.

--
Rudy Schmidt

2. hard disk spinning down?

3. LILO--LILO--LILO

4. dhcp ip problem

5. LILO, LILO, LILO

6. 56k modem recommendation for linux.powerpc

7. Troubles with LILO (LI <hang>)

8. FTP Forwarding nightmare!

9. lilo can't find /etc/lilo.conf, even though it's there

10. lilo.conf ignored by lilo at boot time

11. LILO: what does lilo write in boot sector?

12. LILO boot LILO

13. LILO: First boot sector doesn't have a valid LILO signature