KDE 1.1 MOUSE POINTER

Post by concor » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

First of all someone in this group said that a better place for KDE
related issues would be [comp.windows.x.kde] - but I cannot find the
group!

I have RH5.1 with a recently recompiled kernel [2.0.36], I upgraded from
KDE 1.0 to KDE 1.1pre2 today by following the directions and
uninstalling KDE1.0 first.  I installed from the RPM packages.  I used
the suggestion [/opt/kde/bin/kde_on] to set up the GUI for first time
use.  Afterwhich I used [usekde] from the /root directory.

When I'm in KDE and put my mousepointer on the desktop it appears as an
"X" instead of the normal pointer.  When I place it over an ICON or the
TASKBAR or the PANEL it appears as the normal pointer.  When I'm within
an app it is normal as well.  I hope it is just a simple resource
configuration change but I'm clueless.  Can anyone help?

I &$%# love the newer KDE!  Any help you can give me with this
chickenshit little inconvenience would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

- Embrace the penguin, trust the penguin, but most of all remember -
bring plenty of raw fish. -

KDE 1.1 MOUSE POINTER

Post by Dan Mille » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> First of all someone in this group said that a better place for KDE
> related issues would be [comp.windows.x.kde] - but I cannot find the
> group!

> I have RH5.1 with a recently recompiled kernel [2.0.36], I upgraded from
> KDE 1.0 to KDE 1.1pre2 today by following the directions and
> uninstalling KDE1.0 first.  I installed from the RPM packages.  I used
> the suggestion [/opt/kde/bin/kde_on] to set up the GUI for first time
> use.  Afterwhich I used [usekde] from the /root directory.

> When I'm in KDE and put my mousepointer on the desktop it appears as an
> "X" instead of the normal pointer.  When I place it over an ICON or the
> TASKBAR or the PANEL it appears as the normal pointer.  When I'm within
> an app it is normal as well.  I hope it is just a simple resource
> configuration change but I'm clueless.  Can anyone help?

> I &$%# love the newer KDE!  Any help you can give me with this
> chickenshit little inconvenience would be greatly appreciated.

> Frank

> - Embrace the penguin, trust the penguin, but most of all remember -
> bring plenty of raw fish. -

I believe this is normal.  I have kde 1.0 and it's always had an "x" cursor
when the cursor is over the desktop.

KDE 1.1 MOUSE POINTER

Post by ne.. » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>First of all someone in this group said that a better place for KDE
>related issues would be [comp.windows.x.kde] - but I cannot find the
>group!

Then get your news provider to add it!!

Quote:

>I have RH5.1 with a recently recompiled kernel [2.0.36], I upgraded from
>KDE 1.0 to KDE 1.1pre2 today by following the directions and
>uninstalling KDE1.0 first.  I installed from the RPM packages.  I used
>the suggestion [/opt/kde/bin/kde_on] to set up the GUI for first time
>use.  Afterwhich I used [usekde] from the /root directory.

>When I'm in KDE and put my mousepointer on the desktop it appears as an
>"X" instead of the normal pointer.  When I place it over an ICON or the
>TASKBAR or the PANEL it appears as the normal pointer.  When I'm within
>an app it is normal as well.  I hope it is just a simple resource
>configuration change but I'm clueless.  Can anyone help?

That "X" is the standard cursor. This is what differentiates us
from other windowing environments. Having said that, I dug deep
and came up with this gem. Unfortunately, I cannot take any
credit for having said. I culled it from an old post.

-----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~--------------------
Use:

        xsetroot -cursor_name <name_of_cursor> &

For instance, to get a left-pointer, use:

        xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &

Place it in $HOME/.xinitrc someplace before calling startkde.

The cursor names are located in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/bitmaps.
----------------------~~~~~~~ end ~~~~~~~------------------

--
ne...
.sig server was neva operational.

1. Wheele Mouse under KDE 1.1

Hello

I have my Xdefaults file configured so that my wheel mouse works under
Netscape.  This works fine with KDE 1.0  But as soon I install KDE 1.1,
the mouse does not work.  As though the .Xdefaults file is not even
being read...

Can anyone help...

Thanks

-==M. R...

2. sendmail 8.7.1 is sloooow... why ?

3. GIMP 1.1 and KDE 1.1 problem

4. static libraries

5. "Autoraise" behavior changed form KDE 1.0 to KDE 1.1

6. update hardware clock using hwclock as a cron job

7. Building KDE 2.0 with KDE 1.1.x active...

8. help with route, please

9. Upgrade KDE 1.1.pre2 to KDE 1.1.1

10. Installing new KDE apps under KDE 1.1

11. Upgrading from KDE-1.1 to KDE-1.1.1

12. Kerberos server and Linux 1.1.xx. Pointers anyone?

13. Mouse pointer customisation - KDE menus