SuSE PPP

Post by Harry Flaxma » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I just changed over from Red Hat to SuSE Linux 5.3.  In Red Hat,
activating the PPP interface dialed the modem.  In SuSE, it does not.
Is there something I'm missing about SuSE.  I used the interface
activate to dial out to my ISP in Red Hat.  I'm fairly new to Linux, but
was able to get things going in Red Hat.

What am I doing wrong in SuSE.  HELP APPRECIATED!

Harry Flaxman

SuSE PPP

Post by Stephen Marl » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Harry,

I use SuSE 5.2 and use the KDE's kppp tool to do the dialing. It's
a piece of cake to setup. Email me if you need any help.

--

1. SuSe PPP success!

After some time and effort and a helpful post from someone else I finally
have successfully connected via PPP.  I thought I would post this in an
effort to help others who may be suffering the same problems.  Here's what I
did to enable PPP after a fresh installation of SuSe 6.2.

I went into KDE via Root and started "a small version of file Manager".
From here I changed directories to the root/user/sbin/ and right clicked on
pppd and changed it to allow access to everything.  Then I changed
directories to /user/sbin/pppd and right clicked on pppd and changed the
permissions to allow access to everything.  Then I changed directories to
the directory that has the desktop/kde and allowed access to everything by
right clicking the kppp icon.

I aslo followed Brad McMillan's advice and in the terminal window typed:
cd /dev
chmod 777 modem

chmod 777 ttySx  (x is your modem number)

cd /

chmod 777 dev

After changing the permissions to these idtems I'm now able to connect
without problems.  Good luck to all you other newbies.  Now all I have to do
is figure out why my LAN card isen't working right :-)

2. 3COM support

3. Help wwith SuSE PPP

4. mount

5. HELP Yellow Dog or SUSE PPP?

6. Q: dmseg...

7. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

8. mounting different NFS accounts on one machine

9. S.u.S.E. 5.3 & ISDN & PPP: pppd not functioning!

10. ppp and suse?

11. ppp connection between Win95 client and Suse server

12. PPP trouble with SuSE 6.1

13. ppp and SuSE 6.0