Help: Install on Packard Bell 486

Post by Chuck Griff » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a Packard Bell 486SX computer. I cannot seem to get my bootdisk

to function properly for installation of Linux software. My system hangs
once the system BIOS is loaded. After BIOS loads the letters LI appear
with the prompt flashing at the end.

ie. LI_ with prompt flashing.

Any help would be appreciated.

                Thank You.
                        Charles Griffis

any help would be apreciated.

Help: Install on Packard Bell 486

Post by Chuck Griff » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

        Sorry if I bothered anyone with the LI_ problem. I found out I
was using the bare.gz 1.2M FILE on a 1.44M drive.

        Sorry again. Charles Griffis

Post by To » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >I have a Packard Bell 486SX computer. I cannot seem to get my bootdisk
: to function properly for installation of Linux software. My system hangs
: once the system BIOS is loaded. After BIOS loads the letters LI appear
: with the prompt flashing at the end.

According to the LILO docs, LI means the first stage loader has loaded
stage two, but stage two can't execute.  This can be caused by either a
geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
installer.

In this case, I would have to assume there is a geometry mismatch - your
drive is different than reported in BIOS.

1. again -> Headlands Tech chipset on Packard Bell '486 and XFree86?

I didn't get a reply to my first post, so maybe I'll try this once
more:

Does anyone know if the ht216 video chipset used by Packard Bell in
their Force 2387 DX2/66 is compatable with XFree86? It is not
mentioned in the supported hardware list, but I suspect that this
chipset may emulate a better known chipset which is supported.

Peter.

Dr. P. Jackson | UWO Geography | phone (519)679-2111x5024 | fax 661-3750

2. Appending Files

3. Help Installing LINUX on Packard Bell Pentium

4. PCI memory hacking: looking for help

5. Help installing 1.2.1 (Slackware 2.2) on Packard Bell Legend 38CD

6. slow sound (long post)

7. Help Requested: Any problems installing/running Linux on a Packard Bell Force 487CDT PC?

8. Linksys Ether16 Lan Card

9. Installing Linux RH 5.2 on Packard Bell

10. problem install linux in a old packard bell computer

11. Problems installing SuSE and RedHat on Packard Bell

12. Linux 2.3 w/ELF installs/runs on Packard Bell 60 Pentium ?

13. Packard-Bell will not install