Need HELP - master boot record defective!

Need HELP - master boot record defective!

Post by Rasmin van Kess » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I had Lilo installed in the master boot record and got usually a menu to
choose the operating system I want to boot. Actually, I only get 'LI' when I
turn the power on and then the system hangs. I think, the master boot record
could be defective. Do you know any tool (for DOS) that makes my hard disk
partition(s) bootable again? How can I delete Lilo from the MBR?

Post by William Chu » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I had Lilo installed in the master boot record and got usually a menu to
: choose the operating system I want to boot. Actually, I only get 'LI' when I
: turn the power on and then the system hangs. I think, the master boot record
: could be defective. Do you know any tool (for DOS) that makes my hard disk
: partition(s) bootable again? How can I delete Lilo from the MBR?

I hope you have a DOS disk handy.  If you do, boot off it.  Then run
"FDISK /MBR"

will

http:/www.stern.nyu.edu/~wchung

Need HELP - master boot record defective!

Post by us017.. » Sat, 11 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I had the exact same problem.. I was unable to ever get LILO to work
with my configuration.. After MUCH work, I finally did away with
LILO altogether.. I now select (from the dos boot-up menu) whether
to boot up windows/95 or linux, and linux is loaded via the loadlin
command... Works like a champ.. and you dont have to monkey with the
MBR...

Monty Scroggins

Post by Sadin Nurki » Sun, 12 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I had Lilo installed in the master boot record and got usually a menu to
>choose the operating system I want to boot. Actually, I only get 'LI' when I
>turn the power on and then the system hangs. I think, the master boot record
>could be defective. Do you know any tool (for DOS) that makes my hard disk
>partition(s) bootable again? How can I delete Lilo from the MBR?

i hope u didnt fdisk/mbr, because there is an easy solution:
what the problem really is, or at least it happened to me,
YOUR HDD BIOS SETTINGS are wrong, check that out first b4
doing a fdisk/mbr because it could stuff up everything.

sadin ........
--------------

Post by Brian Smy » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I had Lilo installed in the master boot record and got usually a menu to
>choose the operating system I want to boot. Actually, I only get 'LI' when I
>turn the power on and then the system hangs. I think, the master boot record
>could be defective. Do you know any tool (for DOS) that makes my hard disk
>partition(s) bootable again? How can I delete Lilo from the MBR?

Using your DOS boot disk, boot DOS, then run fdisk /mbr

That will restore your master boot record.  Then boot with your Linux
boot disk and run LILO again.

HTH

-Brian

1. Need HELP!!! master boot record defective.

Hi,

I had Lilo installed in the master boot record and got usually a menu to
choose the operating system I want to boot. Actually, I only get 'LI' when I
turn the power on and then the system hangs. I think, the master boot record
could be defective. Do you know any tool (for DOS) that makes my hard disk
partition(s) bootable again? How can I delete Lilo from the MBR?

2. crypt > tar for secure archiving?

3. Need to restore Master Boot Record-forgot command-Help!

4. Linux with JDK (Java)

5. Boot problem of the 2nd disk: defective boot record

6. Printer error help

7. Need to load master boot record

8. rsh 'limit cputime 2' DOES NOT WORK

9. Need to get LILO to re-write to the Master Boot Record

10. LILO in my Master Boot Record? HELP

11. Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

12. HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

13. Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record