Can not login as a root

Post by Olle Eh » Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:00:00

There's probably nothing wrong with your password. I tried two
times to install Redhat 5 with no success. The last time I had
the same experience. I could mount the Redhat partition from a
Slackware partition besides and put a '*' in the password field
in /etc/passwd. The result was the same when I tried to log in
so the bug must be in the login process not in the password.

Can not login as a root

Post by Leonid Romanyu » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have a problem.
I installed the Red Hat Linux from the "official" CD, logged in as root,
created a couple of user accounts, ran C and C++ compilers, started X
Windows, everything was working. I did not make any changes at all
between successful and unsuccessful logins.  I logged out, the next time
I try to log in as a root the answer is "login incorrect".
One of the user accounts still can log in, another can not.
It happened with two different complete instalations on different disks,
but on the same computer. The installation manual has noting about this.
What am I doing wrong?
Leon

Can not login as a root

Post by Lee Sew Ke » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: I have a problem.
: I installed the Red Hat Linux from the "official" CD, logged in as root,
: created a couple of user accounts, ran C and C++ compilers, started X
: Windows, everything was working. I did not make any changes at all
: between successful and unsuccessful logins.  I logged out, the next time
: I try to log in as a root the answer is "login incorrect".
: One of the user accounts still can log in, another can not.
: It happened with two different complete instalations on different disks,
: but on the same computer. The installation manual has noting about this.
: What am I doing wrong?
: Leon

You must have telneted in from somewhere to log in as root.
RH does not allow this (by default) for security reasons.

if you need to administer your machine, use your user account then do a
su.

Terry

*       Terry Lee                                                       *
*       Tel (O)         :       (65) 874 7906                           *
*       Pager           :       (65) 9 706 4979                         *

*       BioInformatics Centre                                           *
*       5 Lower Kent Ridge Road                                         *
*       National University Hospital                                    *
*       Singapore 119074                                                *

Can not login as a root

Post by Graffit » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>Slackware partition besides and put a '*' in the password field
>in /etc/passwd. The result was the same when I tried to log in
>so the bug must be in the login process not in the password.

Um, just to let you know, '*' in the password field doesn't mean
"any password".  It means that account is disabled.  No logins.  Nada.
Zip.  Zilch.  Zero.  (Well, you can still su to it as root).

What you want is an empty field.
i.e.:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh

-- DN

Can not login as a root

Post by Arran Pric » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> There's probably nothing wrong with your password. I tried two
> times to install Redhat 5 with no success. The last time I had
> the same experience. I could mount the Redhat partition from a
> Slackware partition besides and put a '*' in the password field
> in /etc/passwd. The result was the same when I tried to log in
> so the bug must be in the login process not in the password.

An * should lock the account.  If you should probably remove all the
chars in the password field if you want to reset the password.
Either that or copy the encrypter password field from an account which
you know the password for.

Arran
My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

1. Unable to login at login prompt - not even root

Hi Folks,

If this question's already been answered a million times, please point
me at it - I've been google'ing all day and must have missed it.
Otherwise, any assistance would be ace:

I'm running a Pentium based box as my firewall. The o/s is Mandrake
8.2 with msec set to 5. I've also tried it at msec = 3 and booting to
"linux" instead of "linux-secure" - no change.

When I go to log into the machine at the console, I key in a valid
username & password, it goes to think for a bit and then clears the
screen and puts the login banner at the top with a "<host> login:"
prompt again. It *should* show me a message of the day script and some
debug notes from /etc/bashrc then log me in but it doesn't show
anything.

If I try to use an invalid login name/password it borks quickly as
expected with "Login incorrect", skips a couple of lines and puts a
new "login" prompt up.

If I use a non-existant account name it takes a long time after
entering the user name before coming back to the clear screen & login
prompt - never asks for a password.

I've gone into single user mode and removed a password from one
account - same behaviour with no errors but no access.

I've changed from /bin/bash to /bin/sh - same behaviour

I've set the shell for one user to /usr/bin/uptime to see what would
happen - same behaviour

Under msec 5 I get a "Login incorrect" if I try "root" (as expected)
but under msec 3 I get the same behaviour as if I tried with a
"normal" user.

I've gone to single user mode and run /bin/login and all works fine -
I log in as expected.

No errors being logged to auth.log for the "correct" logins - it's
just doesn't go anywhere.

Any help, pointers, constructive advice, etc would be greatfully
appreciated.

Cheers,

Grant

2. We are Hiring Hackers

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. xdm in Debian Linux

5. xload - can't open kvm files

6. /etc/securetty not preventing root login??

7. Need help setting up video card for x-windows.

8. 2 * XvpTSsRiI-OpenWindow: not root login

9. how can ROOT login but not from CONSOLE?

10. 1 * SbHmShlUR-OpenWindow: not root login

11. xclock works for root, not other login

12. Can not login as root.