Boot disk problems: Am I a moron, or is my system not supported?

Boot disk problems: Am I a moron, or is my system not supported?

Post by Mike Stuc » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I have the Slackware 3.3 and Red Hat 4.2 CDs. I've tried making boot disks
using the latest copies from the Sunsite archives, always without success.

When I try just pressing enter on the Red Hat boot disk, it loads for
about five seconds then gives me a "Boot Failed. Press any key to
continue."

I've tried two different Slackware disks: the bare, and the SoundBlaster
CD-ROM. I've tried each with a ram disk and without a ramdisk. It seems to
recognize all my hardware, then asks me to mount the file system disk; I
keep the boot disk floppy in. It gives me a message about VFS mounting the
drive, then nothin'. Nothing at all. No login prompt. It still lets me
type and all, but I'm just typing into blank lines.

So, am I a moron, or is there something whacked out here? Am I not doing
something right with the Slackware disks?

I'm prone to suspecting my system; it's a 486-66 with 8mb memory. Where it
gets really weird is this: the mother board is an EISA/ISA/VLB
combination. It's not an EISA motherboard with VLB slots; it's got a few
EISA slots, a few ISA slots, and a pair of VLB slots. It also has an old
BIOS that doesn't support EIDE, and my primary drive is a 1.6gb using
EZ-DRIVE to support it; Slackware seemed to recognize this just fine.

Any ideas, or should I just wait 'till I get a new computer, hopefully
reasonably soon?

Mike Stucka / mstucka at math.luc.edu
   "We hear about constitutional rights, free speech, and the free press.
   Every time I hear these words, I say to myself, 'That man is a Red,
   that man is a communist.  You never hear a real American talk like
   that.'"  -- Frank Hague, New York World, Telegram, April 2, 1938

Boot disk problems: Am I a moron, or is my system not supported?

Post by Mike Stuc » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Yep, I'm a moron. Didn't realize Slackware needed a second rootdisk image.

Still, any idea on what the problem might be with Red Hat? That's the
distribution I'd _really_ prefer to run.

Mike

Post by Joe Smulowi » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00

|Yep, I'm a moron. Didn't realize Slackware needed a second rootdisk image.
|
|Still, any idea on what the problem might be with Red Hat? That's the
|distribution I'd _really_ prefer to run.

From the sound of it, you're using a boot disk image you  found  at  the
ftp  site.   It  could  be  that  the  image  contains  a  kernel  whose
configuration is not compatible with your system.  You'd be  better  off
making your own.  Read the bootdisk-HOWTO.

A boot/root disk(s) really doesn't have much to do with what  flavor  of
Linux  you're  running.   It's  ususally  pretty stripped down, offering
only the  kernel  and  a  rudimentary  file  system  with  a  few  basic
commands.

I run RedHat and I use a boot/root disk based on Slackware  files.   But
I made my own; I didn't use any pre-configured image.

 Joe Smulowicz               Hewlett-Packard                Tel: 978-659-3760

                       Andover, Massachusetts  01810
      PGP fingerprint: 50 EA 8B 22 A0 59 60 D5  DD 4B 04 04 12 26 2E 16

Post by Brian Steve » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I have the Slackware 3.3 and Red Hat 4.2 CDs. I've tried making boot disks
>using the latest copies from the Sunsite archives, always without success.
>When I try just pressing enter on the Red Hat boot disk, it loads for
>about five seconds then gives me a "Boot Failed. Press any key to
>continue."

<snip>

Quote:>I'm prone to suspecting my system; it's a 486-66 with 8mb memory. Where it
>gets really weird is this: the mother board is an EISA/ISA/VLB
>combination. It's not an EISA motherboard with VLB slots; it's got a few
>EISA slots, a few ISA slots, and a pair of VLB slots. It also has an old
>BIOS that doesn't support EIDE, and my primary drive is a 1.6gb using
>EZ-DRIVE to support it; Slackware seemed to recognize this just fine.

<snip>

We had / have a problem with redhat 4.2 bootdiscs on a dell 486-66 in
that the boot disc probes for pci hardware which lock the machine, may
be you have a similar problem.

voice +44 (0) 1252 393959
Fax   +44 (0) 1252 395120

Boot disk problems: Am I a moron, or is my system not supported?

Post by Mike Stuc » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I gave up on Red Hat, but successfully installed Slackware 3.3 after
bringing my hard drive into work and popping it into a computer that had a
CD-ROM. In a particular kludge, it only partially installed GCC and
XFree86. Oh, well, I'm here to play anyway.

Thanks to all who posted and e-mailed me help!
Mike

1. Boot disk does not detect IDE Toshiba CD-ROM or am I stupid?

The message pretty much says it all.  I tried "most IDE/ATAPI CD-ROMs" and
then tried the "sbpcd.bat" file (SoundBlaster, Panasonic ...).  Please
help.  To
make matters worse all I know is that it is a quad speed CD-ROM drive.
Trying
to get info. from the guy who sold me the computer.

Archana

2. STB BlackMagic Voodoo2

3. I am a moron, so help me please

4. Proxy Server Question

5. Kernel woes: Yes, I am a moron :)

6. Network card problem under Mandrake 8 (8039oo)

8. Read Macintosh format cdrom from SunOS cdrom drive?

10. Am I touchy? Or am I right?