The modem dials and connects fine, but then it drops the connection

The modem dials and connects fine, but then it drops the connection

Post by Eric L » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 12:50:03

Hello,
  I am using RH6.2 and use the PPP Dialer to connect to the internet,
however, the modem dials and connects fine, but then it drops the
connection.
  I really hate using windows but if my RH can't connect to internet, this
force me to using windows again, please help.

    I have been asked to reset the init string (not the dial command) to
AT&F0, but I can't find the init string setting in PPP Dialer.

Eric

The modem dials and connects fine, but then it drops the connection

Post by Glitc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

why don't you provide error messages from /var/log/messages? that would
help us help you-- as of now anything could be causing the connection to
be dropped

> Hello,
>   I am using RH6.2 and use the PPP Dialer to connect to the internet,
> however, the modem dials and connects fine, but then it drops the
> connection.
>   I really hate using windows but if my RH can't connect to internet, this
> force me to using windows again, please help.

>     I have been asked to reset the init string (not the dial command) to
> AT&F0, but I can't find the init string setting in PPP Dialer.

> Eric

The modem dials and connects fine, but then it drops the connection

Post by bluste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The modem init string setting is contained in the file:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0

look for a line that look like this:

''  'ATZ'

change it to look like this:

''  'ATZ&F0'

If you want to edit it further by hand look at "man chat" to find
out what to put in there.

While you're at it edit the file:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

look for a line that looks like this:

DEBUG="no"

change it to look like this:

DEBUG="yes"

to turn on debug messages and then post the logon errors from
/etc/messages here (edit out your IP addresses first)
so we can see what's happening.

Good luck,
Bluster

Quote:> Hello,
>   I am using RH6.2 and use the PPP Dialer to connect to the internet,
> however, the modem dials and connects fine, but then it drops the
> connection.
>   I really hate using windows but if my RH can't connect to internet, this
> force me to using windows again, please help.

>     I have been asked to reset the init string (not the dial command) to
> AT&F0, but I can't find the init string setting in PPP Dialer.

> Eric

The modem dials and connects fine, but then it drops the connection

Post by bluste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

That is /var/log/messages

Quote:> to turn on debug messages and then post the logon errors from
> /etc/messages here (edit out your IP addresses first)
--^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> so we can see what's happening.

sorry
bluster

1. After dial-back and CONNECT, get NO CARRIER (and connection dropped)

Hi

Can anyone help?  I'm testing a security modem.  It works fine except
that ...

- I dial the modem
- I get prompted for a password
- I enter the password
- The modem disconnects to dial me back (NO CARRIER (expected))
- I get 'ring ring' and my unix 'cu' session auto-answers
- I get CONNECT
- After a few seconds I get NO CARRIER and my connection is dropped

I've tried the following, but to no avail:
  - set the carrier high (or 'ignore carrier) (at&c0)
  - set the speed to 9600 (atr96)
  - set to ignore DTR (at&d0)

I'm running this on AIX, and even tried setting 'ignore carrier' on
the tty from within smit (igncr).

Thoughts?

2. CGI scripts and NCSA httpd 1.5

3. Dial in US Robotics modem drops connection. Help!

4. if (foo) kfree(foo) /fs cleanup + reverted JBD code path changes

5. Dial In US Robotics Modem drops connection.

6. telnetting and stuff

7. modem locks after dial in - fine dial out

8. Looking for a Linux g++ STL package.

9. KPPP drops connections after dialing

10. Dial-in connection drops, but job stays

11. dial-up isp connection drops

12. Why does my server immediately drop a dial-in connection?

13. modem connects fine, but no "login:" prompt