Reg. xhost

Post by Shashank Khanvilka » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 04:40:50

Hi All,
I am having configuring xhost. The problem is decribed below..

I have two machine alice (RH 7.2) and bob(solaris). I am logged into alice
and have executed the "xhost +" command.

Now I telnet into bob and execute the following:
setenv DISPLAY alice:0
and now i execute the required GUI application..
However i always get the error message
xhost: unable to open display "alice:0"

Is there something i am doing wrong.. or do i have to start some server..
Thanks for any help
Regards
Shashank

Reg. xhost

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:07:15

> Hi All,
> I am having configuring xhost. The problem is decribed below..

> I have two machine alice (RH 7.2) and bob(solaris). I am logged into alice
> and have executed the "xhost +" command.

> Now I telnet into bob and execute the following:
> setenv DISPLAY alice:0
> and now i execute the required GUI application..
> However i always get the error message
> xhost: unable to open display "alice:0"

Recent RedHat versions typically have a strict default firewall that may
be blocking it (assuming that you telnet from an xterm and not the
console).  Check your logs.

It is better to use ssh (with ForwardX11 yes in ~/.ssh/config)  instead of
telnet.  Then DISPLAY is automatically set to tunnel back through the ssh
connection, which should not be affected by firewall and no xhost setting
is needed.

With ssh I have no trouble launching X programs on my Solaris ISP to
display back in Linux X.

1. Permanent list of allowed xhosts?

Having read the 'xhost' man page, I still can't figure out where I can specify,
in a file, a default list of xhosts that are allowed to access my Xserver.  I
can add them using 'xhost +hostname', but that list disappears whenever I log
out. I'm guessing there is a file somewhere, because xhost lists the following
by default (ie before I've added any):

access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
INET:localhost
INET:stan.lincoln.ac.nz
LOCAL:

Where does it store these defaults?  The man page lists the file

/etc/X*.host

but when I created a file X.host (there were no files X*.host in my /etc
directory to begin with) with xhosts listed as follows:

INET:hostname

it didn't appear to have any effect.  Anyone know the answer to this one?
Thanks in advance for any responses,

Dave

2. xterm: warning message

3. "xhost: must be on local machine to add or remove hosts"

4. Linking Cobol with C-Shared Library

5. xhost(1) command on PS/2 AIX X-Windows

6. 3DFx Voodoo 3 3000 X server

7. xhost and xset in Gnome startup

8. installing sound

9. Problems with "xhost +"

10. Can't open display, IN SPITE OF xhost

11. how to make xhost effect permanently

12. PROBLEM: using xhost

13. Problems with xhost