LILO answers HERE read read read

Post by chronolo.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hey people, I have seen MANY MANY posts about the lilo L 10 10 10
problem, and I had the same problem until today.  I am a linux newbie,
so anything I say is questionable.  Let me say that you should not
follow my directions. You should not read this and I probably didn't
even post it.  Now... If you want to know what I think read on.

I believe there are several possible causes for LILO not booting, but
if you get the L 10 10 error, you can be assured you HAVE GOT
EVERYTHING SET UP RIGHT AS FAR AS GETTING TO LILO.  The problem is Lilo
can't do it's job once you get to it.  Setting up another boot manager
may help, for SOME of the causes of this error, detailed below, but for
others it won't do any good at all.

The first reason, and probably the most common reason, is the
limitation of lilo where it can't boot from a partition beyond the
1024th cylinder of the HD.  As I write this I think there is a NEW
version of lilo, which has overcome this limitation.  I picked up some
hearsay about it, so I won't promise.  There are also other kernel boot
loaders which don't have this problem.  The one I've tried is called
nuni.  I was told to go to www.freshmeat.net and search for it.  So go
ahead and to that.  If the partition that contains /boot is located
beyond cylinder 1024 in your configuration (use fdisk to find out) this
could be your problem.

Now if you know that /boot is before cyl. 1024, then trying to fix the
problem with the above approach won't help.  If you are trying to boot
from a hard drive other than the primary (hda or hdb are primary, hdc
and hdd are not) then probably the situation is your bios doesn't
support booting from the drive.  That doesn't have anything to do with
lilo and it will give you the L 10 10 error in any case.  To solve this
problem, you have to create a small linux partition on the primary
drive which will hold the contents of /boot.  In otherwords set the
mount point for this small partition to /boot.  Now you can install
lilo in the MBR, or in your linux partition on the secondary drive,
whichever you prefer.  Putting in in the MBR makes lilo your boot
manager.  Putting it in your linux partition means you want to use
another boot manager.

There may be other causes of this common error...but I don't know about
them.

I hope this helps, thanks to the posts that helped me solve my problem.

I believe that there should be more data added to a HOWTO, maybe the
LILO HOWTO, adding some of these details...But I don't know how that
stuff is handled.  In the meantime I think I'll write up something in
the way of a NHF.  Look for it.

--chronologic

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

LILO answers HERE read read read

Post by smn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had a similar problem.  My fix was back up my system onto another
drive, then ZERO THE DRIVE completely.  This means getting a utility
from the hard drive manufacturer.

Once the drive was cleaned I did a very minimal install of my favorite
distro.  This step included putting the boot partition within the 1024
cyl limit.  The minimal install saved some time.  Besides, I'd copy
stuff over anyway from the backups.

Reboot to test LILO.  OK?  Once ok, then I restored my backups.
Everything was AOK.

And one other thing to everyone: READ THE LILO-HOWTO.  It has a lot of
interesting info that I didn't know about until I read it.

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde

glaze!                       |
9:55pm up 3 days, 5:02, 1 user, load average: 1.06, 1.10, 1.04

1. read not reading

Perhaps I'm losing it, but I swear this is what I see happening.

cat file | while read LINE
do
        if [ certain things are true about $LINE ]
        then
                do some stuff based on values in $LINE
        fi
done

Now, if I do "some stuff" , which is a lot of text hacking, etc, but
absolutely no exits,breaks,continues,etc, the read command sees no
more lines in the file. If I don't do "some stuff", then it reads next
line fine. sh -x shows the read is actually occuring, but ending as
if it sees EOF. Has this been seen before? This also occurs if the reads
are done through standard input.

Any help/experience with this greatly appreciated!

- Kyle
Kyle Tucker - Email Administrator  |            Progress Software Corporation

(617)280-4565                      |            Bedford, Mass. 01730

2. Sec. Vulnerability in ftpd Rev.01

3. Reading a directory and knowing which type of file am I reading

4. ping acronym

5. Read & Read/Write Groups

6. Reference to System V accounting

7. [ak@suse.de: Re: iosched: impact of streaming read on read-many-files]

8. one little question about partitions

9. URGENT - Max Kb Solaris Reads In One Read

10. I've read/am reading the faq's - but what is a Segmentation fault?

11. Solaris '/usr/bin/read' not reading?

12. read() from driverfs files can read more bytes

13. How to share read-only to one client and read-write to all others?