mini-linux help

Post by Eric M. Johns » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I was trying to get mini-linux running and am encountering the
following error during boot:
"hd.c: ST-506 interface disk with more than 16 heads detected,
probably due to non-standard sector translation.  giving up.
(disk 0: cyl=708, sect=63, head=32)"

then a few more things about not being able to mount the file system,
etc and it fails.

if I look in my CMOS, my HD is set up as cyl=1416 (half what
mini-linux sees), sect=63, heads=32 (twice what mini-linux sees).

anybody know if I can work around this?  my reason for even trying
mini-linux is I don't have tons of free HD space to dedicate to a
full-blown linux set-up, and I only use it to dial in to work
occasionally.  if someone can recommend a better version (monkey,
doslinux, ?) that has modem support and X, will work under DOS, not
huge, etc, that'd be helpful too.

thanks,
Eric

"Bruce talks about darkness on the edge of town
So I said I'll skirt the town"
 - Dead Hot Workshop

1. Mini-Linux Help

I wanted to install mini-lunix on my Pc
to try out lunix before repartioning my
hard drive. All seemed to well until I
tried to run it.

 I get the message:
"hd.c ST-506 interface disk with more than
16 heads detected. Probably due to non-standard
sector translation. Giving Up.
(disk0:  cyl=528, sect=63, head=32)"

"kernal panic: UFS; unable to mount root"

 Which laeds with my only option being
the three finger salute.

 Can anyone help my poor pathatec soul?

Thanks

                   From the desk of:
                   David B. Marsden

      http:\\nyx10.cs.du.edu:8001\~dmarsden\home.html
                 Loose on the Internet

2. Opening tty port without raising dtr/dsr

3. Mini-Linux Help......

4. Summary of ...User domains and ACL?, Unix to die for

5. Monkey/Mini LINUX ..HELP!

6. ppp help

7. HELP INSTALLING MINI-LINUX

8. Translate to lower case

9. Need help to configure modem on Mini-linux

10. need HELP installing MINI-LINUX

11. HELP NEEDED with Mini-Linux

12. Mini-Linux:X-win with mouse,Help.

13. Help with Mini-Linux prompt!!