Need help with Slack '96 install

Post by Tasos Drosopoul » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>HELP!!!
>Let me start with the particulars. I've got a 386/sx 33 (try not to
>chuckle) with 8meg ram, 2 504meg hard drives, and a Creative Labs CD-ROM
>on a Soundblaster card. Basic problem is that I can't get the CD
>recognized by SBPCD.I no matter what I try.
>Drive is at I/O address 1E8, but SBPCD.I starts scanning at 230, then goes
>into the 400-600 range, never getting close to the actual drive address.

>I tried force-feeding the address to the kernel (SBPCD.I=11,1E8,Soundblaster)

OK, first, no SBPCD. What you probably have is a PnP kit (as I do) and the
IDE-ATAPI interface is the right one. To recognize your system you need
kernel 2.0.0+ which Slack96 has. You simply have to pass at the boot prompt one
of "hd{c-h}=cdrom". My dos driver uses port 168 and "hdh=cdrom" works for me.