Printing to multiple spooled printers

Post by The Hall » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm running 3 printers off a Linux 2.2.6 server. I have an old
application which can be configured to either print directly to a port
(the port has to be set chmod 666 in order for all users to print) if
given the device name or if given another name it will dump its output
to that filename. Right now, its set up to print to /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1,
and /dev/lp2, and it works, but I want to get it to work using the
spooler. I've set up RedHat 6.0's "printtool" to map PRINTER0 to
/dev/lp0, PRINTER1 to /dev/lp1, etc, and if I issue the command "lpr
-PPRINTER0 < filename" it spools the file and prints it perfectly. The
problem is, I can't tell the program I'm using to send a command line;
it either dumps to a filename or a device. I've looked at the
/dev/printer device which hands its input to lpd, but as far as I can
tell, it only works to one printer, or through a filter (i need to be
able to manually specify which printer to send the output to). This
problem has left me stumped. It seems like more people that me need to
do something like this. Or am I just missing something? Thanks for any
help you can provide.

Nick

1. Print spool files filling /var/spool/printer

Solaris 2.6

I have started getting complaints from users that old documents are
being printer from one of our network printers.

Looking at the /var/print/spool directory I see that there are 100's of
spool files. The 10th file , date wise, is .printd.lock
doing a ps -ef also shows a printd process running
also there are about 20 lpr processes

I have no idea whats going on. Is it possible that this printd process
was interfeering with the spool directory ?
What does printd do ?

how can I investigate why spool files for this one particular printer
are filling up the spool directory ?

any suggestions would be appreciated and yes I am in RTFM mode.........

Thanks,
Mike.

2. file system missing!

3. How to print AFP Spool to IBM printer ?

4. VPN across a Linux Firewall

5. Best way to spool and filter print jobs for remote printer?

6. Ultrix df doesn't report the correct filesystem space

7. Printing to two printers from one queue (Printers print identically not load balancing)

8. e + diaeresis, how?

9. printing to (I'm sorry) NT print spool

10. Cannot Print to /var/spool/print??

11. printing from windows to a linux print spool

12. Printing to multiple printers