Won't boot after kernel recompile

Post by lic.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My hardware is K6-II-450, 128MB RAM, ATI Rage II+DVD video, primary
drive 2.1GB E-IDE, root partition (hda1) = 1.88GB, swap (hda2) =
balance. Secondary drive (sda) is 4.3GB SCSI with Advansys ABP930U ultra
interface. lilo writes to hda.

I've installed Slack 7 from CD-ROM using Advansys kernel boot disks. It works
fine. I've re-compiled the 2.2.13 kernel for my system (ie K6 instead of
386..., turn off LUN search, no sound, etc). It compiled without any obvious
errors.

When I re-booted, it got as far as "Ok, booting the kernel" and that's
all! Locked screen and some disk activity.

Can anyone help?

Bob Towers

PS I get the same problem with other distros - TurboLinux, Caldera 2.3.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

I have two linux machines: one is an IDE system and the other is SCSI.

On the IDE machine, I have just upgraded from Kernel 1.2.11 to 1.2.13.
I got a new kernel source and renamed the old kernel directory tree to
something like linux.old. then I went through the entire proceedure:

make config
make dep
make clean
make zImage

after the compile I did :

cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
rdev -R zImage 1
rdev -v zImage -1
rdev zImage /dev/hda2
fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
cat zImage > /dev/fd0H1440

Everything *seemed* to work fine. BUT when I tried to boot off of the
hard disk and not the floppy, it clearly came up with Kernel 1.2.11,
which was the old one. When I booted from the floppy, it came up with
kernel 1.2.13, which was the new one .

There must be an additional step to set LILO to boot from the new
kernel, but I can find nothing about it in the documentation.

Also, with my SCSI machine, I have loaded linux for the first time. I
went through the whole proceedure and recompiled the kernel just as
above, with my other machine.

The problem is that when I boot up the system goes into AUTOPROBE. It
taked about 7 minutes for this to complete before the system fully
boots. I went through the recompile process again and was very careful
to NOT include the following step which looked suspicious to me:
"Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device".

I can boot from the hard disk without this happening. I am now
suspicious that I am not really booting from the recompiled kernel.

Please help

thank you

Tom

2. Known problems upgrading to solaris 2.6

3. Kernel recompile - won't boot - howto fix?

4. are these all the same nymshifter ?

5. SLS 1.05 - recompiled kernel won't boot

6. screen blanking/dpms gets disabled at random times

7. SLS: Recompiled Kernel Won't Boot! :-(

8. X and kern.securelevel=1 somehow possible?

9. after an ABORTED kernel recompile, my busmouse SUDDENLY won't work !!!

10. Recompiled my Kernel, but X won't start anymore..help please!!?

11. RH8 kernel won't recompile

12. Nic card won't activate after 2.4.18-14 kernel recompile

13. RH8 kernel won't recompile