CAP 6.0 aufs on linux -- how to compile?

CAP 6.0 aufs on linux -- how to compile?

Post by Dan Finem » Mon, 05 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hey all!  More setup questions!

I'm working with a Linux kernel 1.2.13, and am trying to compile CAP
6.0; has anyone sucessfully done this?

The valid configuration types are this:

        bsd - try if you aren't sure
        ultrix12 - Ultrix 1.2
        ultrix20 - Ultrix 2.0 or later
        ultrix40 - Ultrix 4.0 or later
        hpux - HP-UX for series 9000
        aux - A/UX
        xenix5 - SCO Xenix System V
        aix - IBM AIX System V
        pyr - pyramid
        sunos - suns
        encore - Encore MultiMax
        next - NeXT/MACH
        dynix - Sequent Balance
        irix - Silicon Graphics IRIS/IRIX

(note the distinct lack of a "linux" option :)

I've tried the default (bsd), but the compilation didn't finish...  if
anyone knows if Linux resembles one of the above systems more than the
other, please let me know.  Better yet, if someone has properly
configured CAP to run on linux, let me know what was necessary!

Thanks, and please mail me with any replies, as I have a hard time
keeping up with USENET,

Dan Fineman

Post by Ashok Aiy » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I'm working with a Linux kernel 1.2.13, and am trying to compile CAP
>6.0; has anyone sucessfully done this?

Umm... why do you want to use CAP?  Can you not use netatalk instead?
DDP support can be built into the 2.0.x kernels, and patches are
available for 1.2.x.  I have been using netatalk for quite some time,
and use my Linux box as a file and printer server for our Macs.

Take a look at the following URLs:
http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/
http://artoo.hitchcock.org/~flowerpt/projects/linux-netatalk/

Later,
Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.

University of Wisconsin-Madison                  tel: (608) 262-6697

Post by Jim Smal » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> >I'm working with a Linux kernel 1.2.13, and am trying to compile CAP
> >6.0; has anyone sucessfully done this?

> Umm... why do you want to use CAP?  Can you not use netatalk instead?

Because netatalk does not support UAR and tunneling that's why.

I need to tunnel appletalk over a couple socket only connections

http://epsc-s2.saicspt.com:3949/funold.shtml