Portmapper problem when mounting a partition via NFS

Portmapper problem when mounting a partition via NFS

Post by Marco Zandonad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,
I have the following problem. I have a lan which used to be configured
this way:

- server, Pentium running Redhat 5.1
- client, Pentiums running Redhat 6.0

In this configuration it worked fine. Then I decided to update the
server to Redhat 6.0 too. The upgrade process worked flawlessly and
everything went fine, except for one thing: now the client cannot mount
server filesystems via NFS anymore.

If I type on the client:
mount pippo2:/home/users (pippo2 is the server name)

I get:
mount: RPC: Program not registered

Please note that:

- everything else but nfs mount works fine (I can ping/telnet from
client to server and viceversa)
- the entry in the client /etc/fstab is correct (it's the same it used
to be before the upgrade): pippo2:/home/users /mnt/tejahome nfs defaults
0 0
- the server /etc/exports file is correct: /mnt/tejahome
pippo*.pippo.com
- the server /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files are empty

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Marco

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: If I type on the client:
: mount pippo2:/home/users (pippo2 is the server name)

: I get:
: mount: RPC: Program not registered

Well, in that case either the portmapper isn't running, or mountd
isn't, or mountd started before portmap on the server, or ...

: - everything else but nfs mount works fine (I can ping/telnet from
: client to server and viceversa)

uh .. no it doesn't according to your best scenario. If the portmap isn't
up, then all rpc services will fail: rpcinfo, rwho, rsh, ... . Of
course, if only the mountd daemon (or nfsd) is not up, then yes, that's
all.

: - the entry in the client /etc/fstab is correct (it's the same it used
: to be before the upgrade): pippo2:/home/users /mnt/tejahome nfs defaults
: 0 0
: - the server /etc/exports file is correct: /mnt/tejahome
: pippo*.pippo.com

And anything else? You are mounting /home/users according to you, not
/mnt/tejahome!! And pippo2 is the server, so why would you be allowing
it in the exports file? Haven't you got this all backwards?

: - the server /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files are empty

Peter

1. SATAN and nfs exports via portmapper

Hi,

I'm trying to make our network 'SATAN clean'. The last error message
outstanding is various file systems NFS exported via the portmapper.
I think I need some help eliminating this message.

On our Suns (SunOS), I have used the replacement for portmap from
Wietse Venema. This has not made any difference to the error message.
Does anybody else have experience of this ?

Is there a way to solve this problem for SGI machines running
IRIX 5.3 ? Neither of the portmap or rpcbind replacements suggests
it might run on these.

Thanks in advance.

Jon Piesing
Philips Research Labs, Redhill,UK

2. voice over ip fdx question

3. Mounting 8G partition via NFS

4. Some Questions...

5. nfs-mounts and portmapper in 2.2.0-pre4

6. Q: good multimedia kit that works with linux?

7. Booting Via Floppy and mount / via NFS

8. Bizarre Mandrake 8.1 install issue

9. nfs mount problem: mount: can't get address for nfs-server.kauai

10. tar backup via NFS excluding NFS mount point

11. nfs-mount rejects mounted partitions

12. Problems mounting via NFS

13. Problem to mount Linux CD-ROM via NFS