Partition, Partition, Where the HELL is my Partition!

Partition, Partition, Where the HELL is my Partition!

Post by BadSect » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Ok folks,
I've been working with PC's and OS's for years.  I'm pretty confident
in my abilities with 'em.  But this Linux Partition thing is kicking
my ASS!!  I have a 4GB Western Digital HD.  I had NT4.0 on it, but
wiped it using Fdisk/Format from Win98. OK, I found out Fat32 ain't no
good for Linux.  So, I did Fdisk and did NOT partition or Format.
Linux didn't see the drive at all, Figures since no partitions.  So I
partitioned.  Same story as format, Fat32 partition.  Couldn't do
squat with Disk Druid.  Here are the questions:  Do I need to use a
DOS 6.0 fdisk?  Should the partitions be primary or extended?  What do
I need to do to get Linux installed here with a blank drive?  ANY
info/suggestions anyone out there could provide would be MORE than
GREATLY appreciated!!!  I want to SCRUB Microsoft's *and use a
REAL OS!!!!  Thanks in advance people, I appreciate your time!!
Mike

Partition, Partition, Where the HELL is my Partition!

Post by Ted Summer » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

First, by no means am I a Linux expert. I do have Red Hat 5.2 Linux
installed on my system, a PII/400 Dual processor board with 256megs of
ram, and a 10.2 Gig Harddrive. I have it installed in a multi-boot
environment (Win98/WinNT/Linux). When I first installed it I had the same
problem as you and this is what worked for me. 1st) I created a partition
for Win98, formatted it, and setup Win98 on that partition. The drive
space I gave it on my harddrive was 2 gigs using FAT16. 2nd) Then I using
WinNT 4.0 setup program installed WinNT on the remaining section of the
unpartitioned space. The drive space I gave it was 5gigs using NTFS. 3rd)
I used the Red Hat Linux install program and picked the Workstation
option, at which point Linux was able to install itself on the remaining
unpartitioned space. The drive space for Linux was the remaining 5 gigs
using Linux's file system. The important thing for you to remember is that
prior to this I had used fdisk to create all three partitions and linux
would not let me choose the workstation or server option. It seems that
Linux wants to create the partition its self.

NYTed

Post by Daniel G. Hyam » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Ok folks,
> I've been working with PC's and OS's for years.  I'm pretty confident
> in my abilities with 'em.  But this Linux Partition thing is kicking
> my ASS!!  I have a 4GB Western Digital HD.  I had NT4.0 on it, but
> wiped it using Fdisk/Format from Win98. OK, I found out Fat32 ain't no
> good for Linux.  So, I did Fdisk and did NOT partition or Format.
> Linux didn't see the drive at all, Figures since no partitions.  So I
> partitioned.  Same story as format, Fat32 partition.  Couldn't do
> squat with Disk Druid.  Here are the questions:  Do I need to use a
> DOS 6.0 fdisk?  Should the partitions be primary or extended?  What do
> I need to do to get Linux installed here with a blank drive?  ANY
> info/suggestions anyone out there could provide would be MORE than
> GREATLY appreciated!!!  I want to SCRUB Microsoft's *and use a
> REAL OS!!!!  Thanks in advance people, I appreciate your time!!

I assume that you are installing Red Hat, since you mention Disk Druid...

I might not be understanding something, but you should be able to
do all of your partitioning from within the Red Hat setup itself.
Within the first few installation steps, a dialog asks you if you
want to use 'fdisk' or Disk Druid to partition your drive.  Use this,
and you will find yourself at a command-prompt-like interface.  Type
'm' for help, and you will get a list of commands that fdisk supports.
Now, the procedure is loosely this:

0) type 'p' to print all partitions; if there are any present, delete
   them.
1) create a 'linux native' partition:
   type 'n' to create a new partition and follow the instructions from
   there.  I suggest creating a separate partition for your linux
   root directory '/' and another for '/users'.  (For examine, 1GB for
   '/' should be sufficient, and the rest of the drive (minus swap)
   for '/users', which is where you will store all of your data and/or
   home directories.  Note that you can't yet pick the directory to
   mount these partitions under, only the size of the partitions.
2) create a 'linux swap' partition.
   Type 'n' again and create a partition just as in (1).  Then type 't'
   and change that partition's type to 82.  You will probably want about
   at 64MB partition, but the size is up to you (there is a 128MB upper
   limit, though).

3) type 'p' to print all partitions again, to verify that they are
   all there and are the correct size.

4) type '????' (here is where my memory gets hazy; use the 'm' help
   key to find out the correct letter) to write your partitions to
   the partition table and exit fdisk.

In following steps, you should see your partitions show up and you
can mount the appropriate partitions as '/' and '/users' .

If you get things wrong in fdisk, don't worry; you can always restart
the setup and start partitioning from scratch.

If you still have problems, please feel free to email me!

Daniel G. Hyams

phone:  (601) 323-4198

1. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

spake unto us, saying:

By default, Solaris and Linux will not be able to see each other, and
the Windows flavors will not be able to see either one.  So your only
concern will be the visibility between NT and Win95.

If you install those two in primary partitions on the same drive, there
shouldn't be a problem with that either.

Bootit is a utility I know of but have not used.

The only "Boot Manager" I know about is the OS/2 Boot Manager (also the
same as the IBM Boot Manager included as part of Partition Magic 3.x),
and it's a nice basic boot menu, but I'm not sure it's available at all
as a separate product.  I've used it for years (since 1992 I think).

Partition Magic is a glorified (and relatively powerful) fdisk utility
which I've used for quite a while.  Very useful, IMhO.  Newer versions
have things I'm not familiar with (I'm still using the OS/2 version of
PM 2.03).

Ranish's Partition Manager looks like a REALLY slick utility, and it's
on my list to play with.  But I copped out and bought a copy of System
Commander here instead.  :-)

I think I would recommend that you add System Commander to your list
above, since it allows you to selectively change primary partition
visibility (in many cases) for each individual boot menu entry.

Really, though, you probably don't need it.  The only question I would
have is how to get NT's boot manager to get along with Solaris' boot
manager, and I suspect that can be done.

--

       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
        WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!

2. Problem about dlopen & dlsym....

3. Partitions, Partitions, Partitions

4. Problems with modules in Kernel 2.2.17

5. Partitions partitions partitions

6. lwp (threads) in SunOS kernel

7. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

8. PCMCIA problems on IBM ThinkPad 600X

9. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition

10. Large HD fdisk tells me partition 2 overlaps partition 3

11. Logical Partitions on an Extended Partition

12. Transfering deleted partition space to another partition

13. To partition, or not to partition... that is my question.