RH5.2 and KDE -- I got it going

Post by Oded Arbe » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I notice lots of people having trouble getting KDE
>to start, with Red Hat 5.2.
>I'm new to Linux, -- about a month -- and today
>downloaded the KDE 1.1 RPMs and installed them.
>However, could *not* start KDE.

>The docs also say that if KDE runs alone you need
>to put "startkde" into .xinitrc, in home directory, but
>if running kdm, must put "startkde" into ".xsession"
>also in home directory.
>Neither of these exist in my home, but .Xclient does

>It's all very mysterious though.
>Is it correct to say that I have KDE running but not
>kdm? So, why would we want both?

I'm quite a newbie too, about 3 months or so, but I had no trouble with KDE.
I've d/l the 1.1 RPMs , installed them using the install scripts, made a
.xinitrc in my home directory, which looks like this :

##!/bin/bash   (or something , whatever you write here)
#
startkde
#

and that's all.
actually, I use both WindowMaker, KDE and GNOME, so there is a script in
.xinitrc which determines what evironment I want to run and start it (kwm,
gnome-session, or startkde) but what I wrote is the only thing that is
required if you only want to run KDE.
I don't know y people have problems with that. it's the first thing I did ,
and it seems quite straight forward & understandble (IMHO).

Oded

It's hard for me to say what's right, when all I wanna do is wrong.

RH5.2 and KDE -- I got it going

Post by Giles Jon » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 02:53:44 +0800, "Barry Kauler"

>I notice lots of people having trouble getting KDE
>to start, with Red Hat 5.2.
>I'm new to Linux, -- about a month -- and today
>downloaded the KDE 1.1 RPMs and installed them.
>However, could *not* start KDE.

>I'll explain what I did to get it going, but firstly, is
>there anyone who can explain why these things
>happened --

>After install, I had the proper things in my home
>directory -- .Xclient (with all the right stuff in it),
>.Desktop/ and .kde/ -- but typing startx just brought
>up the original RH Xwindows window manager.
>Note during install I chose kdm.

>Inside a terminal in Xwindows, typing "kde" resulted
>in these messages:
>  "Kpanel: waiting for window manager"
>  "Looks like there's already a window manager
>   running. kwm not started."
>Then kfm runs, and a nice blue background appears
>and some icons.

>If I booted in as root and typed "telinit 5" at the
>prompt, a login window appears, and after entering
>userid and password, pressing "go!" button, some
>backgound flashes up on the screen, and I'm
>returned to the login window.

>The documentation says KDE will run without a
>window manager such as kdm -- this is very confusing.

>The docs also say that if KDE runs alone you need
>to put "startkde" into .xinitrc, in home directory, but
>if running kdm, must put "startkde" into ".xsession"
>also in home directory.
>Neither of these exist in my home, but .Xclient does
>have "startkde" and I thought, quite reasonable, that
>this should do the job -- but no.
>As I though kdm will run, I created .xsession -- but
>no good.  Then I created .xinitrc (and of course
>put "startkde" into it) -- and it worked!
>When I typed "startx" at the prompt, up came KDE!

>It's all very mysterious though.
>Is it correct to say that I have KDE running but not
>kdm? So, why would we want both?

>Regards,
>Barry

Far as I know you just have to type usekde before you startx.

RH5.2 and KDE -- I got it going

Hi all,
         I find this info very useful.........
I got it off the Stampede install faq at www.stampede.org
Seems to work everytime for any of the listed desktops.
Also if your running mukti desks it comes in handy.

?Selecting your window manager
To select your default window manager, do one of the following:
?KDE: "echo export KDEDIR=/usr/X11R6 > .xinitrc; echo startkde >> .xinitrc"
?Afterstep: "echo afterstep > .xinitrc"
?WindowMaker: "wmaker.inst"
?twm: "echo twm > .xinitrc"
 ?fvwm2: "echo fvwm2 > .xinitrc"

Have Fun,
                 Mike

> On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 02:53:44 +0800, "Barry Kauler"

> >I notice lots of people having trouble getting KDE
> >to start, with Red Hat 5.2.

  <snipped to save bandwidth>

RH5.2 and KDE -- I got it going

Post by David Kirkpatric » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

   If you have a "stock" 5.2 install and load KDE 1.1 and follow the
install directions which come with KDE in
/opt/kde/redhat-doc/installation-guide there will not be any problems.
The directions are straight forward and if followed leave you with an
.xclients in your home dir that will kick in with startx and overide the
.wm_style setup by RH for windowmanager selection.  The three or so
other posts on this thread are side ventures or shortcuts/hacks to the
directions in the user documentation.
   If the directions are followed you get the .xclients as mentioned
above all ready to go.  To defeat KDE just move .xclients to
.xclients.kde and RH will boot in its regular manner.  To get KDE
working again copy .xclients.kde back to .xclients and KDE will kick in
again. People are having problems because they do not follow the
directions or have modified their systems
  .xclients is enough as per the directions to get KDE going not
Xclients you have below or other modifications to .xsession.  The
.xsession mentioned I think is for other releases that use .xsession or
for people who have modified their system to use it which if thats the
case need to veryify all that has been modified so that KDE can start
with the RH default things in place as it expects.

--

RH5.2 and KDE -- I got it going

Post by Piers B » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Ditto, seems easy if you follow the instructions and use the scripts.

Piers B.

>>I notice lots of people having trouble getting KDE
>>to start, with Red Hat 5.2.
>>I'm new to Linux, -- about a month -- and today
>>downloaded the KDE 1.1 RPMs and installed them.
>>However, could *not* start KDE.

>>The docs also say that if KDE runs alone you need
>>to put "startkde" into .xinitrc, in home directory, but
>>if running kdm, must put "startkde" into ".xsession"
>>also in home directory.
>>Neither of these exist in my home, but .Xclient does

>>It's all very mysterious though.
>>Is it correct to say that I have KDE running but not
>>kdm? So, why would we want both?
>I'm quite a newbie too, about 3 months or so, but I had no trouble with
KDE.
>I've d/l the 1.1 RPMs , installed them using the install scripts, made a
>.xinitrc in my home directory, which looks like this :

>##!/bin/bash   (or something , whatever you write here)
>#
>startkde
>#

>and that's all.
>actually, I use both WindowMaker, KDE and GNOME, so there is a script in
>.xinitrc which determines what evironment I want to run and start it (kwm,
>gnome-session, or startkde) but what I wrote is the only thing that is
>required if you only want to run KDE.
>I don't know y people have problems with that. it's the first thing I did ,
>and it seems quite straight forward & understandble (IMHO).

>Oded

>--
>It's hard for me to say what's right, when all I wanna do is wrong.

1. KDE 1.1.1 and RH5.2, KDE won't start

I just installed KDE 1.1.1, onto RH 5.2, ran the command
/opt/kde/bin/kdm_on, and then run telinit 3; telinit 5. What
happens is, I get the Red Hat login screen, enter my ID and Pass
(I happen to be using root's account) hit enter, the screen
flickers, then pauses, then goes back to the login screen. I
never get to kde. Does anyone have any ideas about what's going
on here?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. About the performance of Informix Online Workgroup Server 7.2

3. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

4. TurboLinux Installation Problems!! Guru's I need help

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Help!!! I know AIX patch present condition?

7. Getting KDE 1.1.2 and KDE 2.0 Beta 1 to co-exist

8. samba

9. KDE 2.0 and killustrator (why gets KDE 1...)?

10. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

11. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

12. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

13. It`s IMPORTANT!!!